Prologue

Momonga sat on the [Throne of Kings], ignoring the faint satisfaction and redoubled shame he felt in that moment. He began looking around the interior of the Throne Room, whereupon he saw Sebas and the Pleiades Battle Maids standing patiently and motionless. So rigid were the NPCs, it made him feel a little lonely.

Momonga: "Kneel."

The NPCs knelt before him, in the way subjects would abase themselves before their master. This brought a shaded smile to Momonga's face before raising his left hand to check the remaining time.

23:55:48, 49, 50—

He didn't have much time left.

Right now, the GMs were probably broadcasting the official shutdown of YGGDRASIL, meanwhile others were setting off fireworks outside. However, Momonga did not know of these events because he had blocked all these notifications in the settings menu. They always annoyed him back then.

Momonga leaned against the throne and raised his skull toward the ceiling. He remembered building the Great Tomb of Nazarick, the most difficult dungeon, with his friends and scavenging dungeons.

While he had sent messages to all the formers members, the number of people who did actually arrive could be counted on one hand. To make things worse, none of them decided to stay with him until the very end of YGGDRASIL's servers, apparently they didn't have enough free time.

He shifted his gaze towards the gigantic flags dangling from the nearby pillars. There were a total of 41 of them in all, the same number as there were guild members. Each flag bore an emblem of a member, and with it, their story.

Momonga spent the next 4 minutes counting the flags while simultaneously reminiscing about the good old days. Back when the members of Ainz Ooal Gown were full-time competitive players, and the Nine Realms feared to even mention their name. Unfortunately such times were over. 

Speaking of 'time', Momonga looked at his watch again—

23:58:43

He released a tired sigh.

The reason for his sadness was due to a lot more than YGGDRASIL's shutdown. Momonga had purchased more than ten thousand fireworks and arranged them on his island, ready for a grand finale when his friends joined at the end of the game. However, none of them showed up, and so he lost all interest in using them for their finale.

It didn't matter in the end. He would return to the real world several seconds later. Even so, this moment felt like it was made to vividly display the hopelessness of Suzuki Satoru, one last laugh from the world at his expense.

Momonga: "...I need to wake up at 4am tomorrow."

Momonga watched the guild banners hanging from above the pillars, muttering morosely to himself as he watched the fabric shift and sway under the glowing of chandeliers. He had wanted to enjoy these final moments with his old friends who had come back to celebrate the last day. 

Yet no one came.

There was nobody by his side now.

23:59:55, 56, 57—

It was time.

Momonga didn't know how it would feel when a DMMO'S servers shut down, because he'd spent his entire gaming life playing YGGDRASIL and nothing else. However, even so, he was certain that it would not end in a hopeful way. He was sure it would be like a sudden snapping of a string and he'd return to real life.

Even so—

Momonga: 'Maybe it would feel better if it ended while my eyes were closed. Like waking from a beautiful dream—