𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝐊𝐢𝐫𝐚-𝐚𝐠𝐞 12

Mother always taught me that if you love someone, let them know because you never know what's happening inside closed doors. She was a surprisingly wise woman even though she was addicted.

To what?
Opioids. Street drugs.
Hydrocodone, oxycodone, methadone.
Methamphetamine, heroine, cocaine.
All of it.

Anything she could get her hands on that would "relieve the pain of the mind in which is produced by simply existing and not living."

Her words not mine.

𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

I sat in my room hearing my brother, Ezra, screaming in the gym while blasting his stupid music. I don't know if you've ever attempted it, but trying to read while loud music is playing is neither enjoyable nor easy.

I huff and place my bookmark on my current page, being careful not to bend any pages, and set it on my comforter. Every day it seems I have to yell at my brother to turn the music down. Does he care? Absolutely not. But I in-fact do and there's enough to share. Generous, right?

I walk through the hallways and down the stairs with ease due to muscle memory. Looking where I'm walking simply isn't needed, especially when I'm this angry. I open the door to the gym and immediately see him laying punch after punch into a bag, shouting profanities at it. "Ezra!" I shout. He doesn't turn around. "Ezra turn your stupid music down!!" Still nothing. I debate what I should do to get his attention and make my point clear, but decide on simply turning the lights off.

He immediately stops to pause the music and yells "Akira Blake turn these fucking lights back on or you'll be my next punching bag!!" Clearly unfazed by his words, I calmly say, "Oh brother dearest, why should I listen to you? It's only Tuesday and you've managed to piss me off 6 times this week."

"OoO Kira's using big girl words now. Adorable," he said with an ugly smirk plastered across his face. Tired of his shit, I flicked the lights back on and snatched my knife from my boot and threw it at him, just barely missing his shoulder, "Shut the fuck up pussy. You seem heartbroken listening to all this emo ass music alone."

If he was gonna talk shit, so could I.

I went back to my room satisfied with our little chat. I sat on my bed and unlocked my phone, about to text my mom to ask where she is when an unknown number popped up. Ezra warned me about talking to strangers but something in my gut urged me to answer it. I pushed the green "accept" button and heard a familiar voice.

"Kira, is Ezra with you?"

Why is Kaelon calling me??? And why not on his phone?

"He's working out, why?"

"Go get him."

Something's wrong.

"EZRA!!" I shouted, hopefully gaining his attention.

I heard heavy footsteps stomping up the stairs, "What now?" he asked sounding fed up.

"Ez, it's Kaelon. Kacy was found on the side of the road. Both an ambulance and your dad were called.." he stopped talking.

"Kae what the fuck happened," my brother raised his voice.

"Fentanyl poisoning and intended lacerations littered across her body," he spoke cautiously.

What. The. Fuck.

Nonononono this couldn't be real. This is a fucking dream. THIS ISN'T REAL.

She wouldn't do that.

Mom was happy. Sure, she struggled with drugs some but I never thought she'd do something like this.

"Ash, is she alive?? Please tell me she's okay." I begged and begged for her to be alright, tears welled up in my eyes.

"KB I'm sorry baby. She didn't make it."

God dammit.

"No-" my voice broke and fat tears cascaded down my cheeks and plopped onto my comforter.

Ezra stayed silent. Although he looked calm, I could tell he was reacting the same as me, he just tried to hide it.

I screamed, "NO! YOU'RE LYING. SHE- SHE DIDN'T. SHE COULDN'T. FUCK."

"I'm sorry. I'll come pick you two up. Pack whatever basic things you need. The police have to close your house down to search it temporarily," Kaelon stated sadly.

He and his family were close to us so we thought of each other as our own.

"I love you two" and he hung up.

I stood up and hugged Ezra. He hugged me back, tight, like he was afraid I was going to disappear if I let go. We stood like that for a couple minutes until we began packing.

I grabbed clothes, hygiene items, a blanket, a picture of Ezra, Mom, Dad, and I at Disney World last year, and her jacket.

I began sobbing while holding the hoodie, still being able to smell her perfume from this morning within the fabric.

A light knock came from the front door and both Ezra and I grabbed our bag, knowing it was Kaelon

"We've got to go meet your father at the police station and give the detectives the keys to the house."

Ez simply nodded and walked out the door with myself trailing behind.

A/N
The prologue is finished!! Tragic start, but it'll get better. (I'm also trying to convince myself 😭). Why do you think Kacy did it? And how will their dad react??  Should Kaelon have been the one to deliver the news??

I literally started crying writing this.
I apologize for the bluntness of the event, but the chapter was getting long and i'm tired 😭
Goodnight my lovelies x
-akira 🫶🏻