Chapter 10

"You know," Moriarty reached for a glass on the coffee table, "it's a good thing I kept an eye on you." He brought the glass to his lips.

"Mycroft was watching me, I don't need your help."

He stopped drinking, "Mycroft," he sneered, "you'd think if Mycroft was watching you he'd have people posted at your flat, regular contact- you'd think he would've stopped that thug ready to slit your throat, or that he would've stopped all the others." he let the amber liquid from the glass flow into his scowl.

"What do you mean, the others?" you furrowed your brows, you didn't want to believe anything that came out of Moriarty's mouth, but this is the only information you're being given. From anyone.

"Oh please don't be stupid, I have so much hope for you." he leaned back into the couch, "A miraculous month of no criminal occurrences after two men broke into your hotel and stalked you? Please." 

You bore your eyes into his own, you ached for answers. Moriarty could smell it on you.

"Anyone that came sniffing around I took care of before they came close. All the while, you, blissfully unaware waltzed around like normal." 

"So Mycroft didn't not watch me, you just took care of it before him! If you wouldn't of done anything-"

"You'd be tied up, tortured, probably dying or dead by now because MYCROFT-"

You laughed, and he stiffened up. You didn't laugh out of confidence, you were still scared shitless, but he seemed so childish you couldn't help it.

"T-This isn't about me! Or my safety, or my ties to anyone- this is a pissing race between you and Mycroft!"

Moriarty slammed his glass down on the table and you jumped, he shot up and towered above you. 

"You are extremely lucky that I even have a mild interest in you or you would be dead."

You tried to steady your breathing, you clenched your jaw as he moved behind you towards the kitchen. You heard cabinets opening, glasses clinking and something being poured. You dare not look at him, but you can hear him walk behind you and towards that cold metal staircase from before.

"We both know Mycroft can't manage to watch you, so make yourself at home for the time being."

You were angry, hands balled into fists. How dare he keep insulting Mycroft, saying he doesn't care enough to watch you? He thinks he can just drag you here whenever and what's more- make you stay? You heard him go up the first couple stairs.

"Have fun with your equations up there."

Moriarty stopped. You slowly looked behind you to the side- he was staring directly at you, hand slack on the railing.

"What was that?" his voice was low, you turned your head forward again. "Nothing..." he started to walk back up the stairs.

"...Professor Moriarty."

You heard him stop again, and then quickly come back down the stairs. He was almost stomping at this point. He came from the right side of you, placing his glass on the coffee table and leaning forward placing both hands on either side of you, caging you.

"Aren't. You. Clever."  he ducked down even lower to meet your cast gaze forcefully, "What else do you know?"

"That you can't keep me here forever." you retorted whilst trying to muster up some defiance. Moriarty scoffed, "If you want to be safe you will be here as long as I say."

"You can't keep me safe." 

Displeasure washed over his features, you fought your body's instincts not to break eye contact or move. Moriarty stood up, fixed his tie and snatched his glass back off of the table. Without another sound he stomped up the metal stairs like a child, like Sherlock. 

You looked around at the overall emptiness the house portrayed. There was no way you were just going to make yourself comfortable in one of those bedrooms, even if you had the energy. Some of the candles were still lit and some of the lights still on. Usually, you'd have to at least have the lights off to fall asleep, but them on was more of a solace here. You adjusted yourself on the couch long-ways, laying on your side and curling your legs into the fetal position. Your body ached with all the tension it's been carrying, it seemed to consume you as you fell asleep- cold, scared, unsure of what to do. You wished for it to be over, for someone to save you- maybe Moriarty was right; maybe Mycroft wasn't watching out for you.