CHAPTER 3

It was around the middle of the night when I woke up, now unable to sleep. I pulled out the note from Enola's mother and looked it over again.

My Lily,

Though you may not really be my lily, you will always have a place in my heart as though you are. There are many paths in life, so choose the one meant for you, not the one others choose for you. It's your life, how will you live it?

Best Wishes,

Chrysanthemum

Why was the word path slanted of all words? I went to Enola's room and saw her looking at her gift from her mother. I slowly walked into her room, placing the small lamp on a table nearby.

"Need some help?" I showed her my note and she had no ideas on it, so we began to look at her gift. After not figuring it out, she grabbed the pencils and slammed them onto her mattress, making them fly all over the place. I noticed a small piece of paper and picked it up and looked at it, then handed it to Enola.

"Alone. That's my name." She immediately began trying to solve the word puzzle, pulling out a bunch of little letter tiles and putting them together, trying to solve it. After a few tries, we finally got it.

Enola and Alexandra look in my chrysanthemums

We both grabbed a lamp and began walking to her mother's room. It was a little difficult with the floorboards creaking at every step, but we eventually made it. We set the lamps down on the table near the chrysanthemums.

"Chrysanthemums symbolise familial attachment." I said. Enola grabbed the flowers in one hand and the vase in the other, looking inside the vase, then dumping all of the water onto the floor, looking at the table, inside the flowers, but to no avail. I sighed in defeat, as Enola looked at me with a strange face, one I knew meant she found something.

"HER chrysanthemums. The paintings." We began looking through the paintings trying to find something, and after finding one painting in a frame, she found an envelope with her name on it inside. She quickly opened it to find it full of money with a small hand painted card on it showing a pretty flower with the words our future is up to us written on the bottom of the card. Enola took my hand and we raced to another room with the lamps still in hand. We put the lamps down as soon as we arrived, and Enola opened a trunk labelled S. Holmes. Sherlock. She opened it and began pulling clothes out of it, but only enough for her. "Mother was able to vanish from Ferndell, and so must we, in the clothes Sherlock himself grew up in." She quickly ran behind a changing rack and swapped clothes, leaving me still standing in my nightgown.

"Enola, what do I wear?"

"How about your fanciest dress? We can say you are my older sister, or mother, or something." I ran to my room as quietly as possible with my lamp and began going through my dresses, everything nice I kept here. I opted for a dark navy dress, paired with a whalebone corset, which surprisingly was a lot more comfortable than I anticipated. After getting ready so I looked very fancy, I grabbed a bag from under my bed and began packing it with necessary things. I packed my spellbook, a thin blanket, some fabric, the first aid kit, some washcloths, the liquid that Sherlock used earlier to clean my wounds, and a change of clothes for me. The bag was very small so it filled up to the top. Perfect. The last thing I grabbed was the note Enola's mother left for me. I waited by the back door for Enola who was apparently doing something very important. She soon came running down the stairs dressed as a boy in a coat that looked just a little too big.

"Okay, everything is set. I put some pillows and other items to make it seem as if we are still in bed. Grab your bike, we have to go!" We began walking outside when I stopped. One of the stones on the path was loose, too loose. I quickly picked it up and noticed another envelope, this one with my name on it. Enola walked back over, noticing the item in my hand. "What is it?"

"I don't know." I opened it and inside was another wad of cash, and a small note.

I saved this from your father, use it well lily.

I guess all the money my father had been using to pay for me to stay with them, she had been saving. I hid the money in my corset, seeing as how there was NO room in my bag, and we began running which was very difficult in the shoes I was currently wearing. We dropped our bikes on a path nearby, because it was a necessary distraction. We continued walking for a while, finally making it to the train station. We couldn't go to our local station, of course, so I chose a different line altogether for us to go to. With Enola's brothers after us, there's no telling where they'd search.

We made it onto the platform and I gave our tickets to the man at the gate, who welcomed us in. We began walking to the doors as I heard some noise behind us. Enola must not have heard, she was way ahead of me.

"No sign of him anywhere, sir." A policeman said.

"I want assurance that my son is not..." said a woman who was with them.

"He's not on this train." said who I'm guessing is the police commander.

"Of course he's on the train! You simply haven't looked properly." said another man. He seemed to be in a uniform of some sort.

"Sir, I've had my officers search this train from top to bottom." the police commander reassured him.

"Darling, perhaps we should just-" said a more elderly woman, who, after quickly glancing back again, seemed to be dressed as a widow.

"Quiet, mother." the man said again. Names would be useful, but I have none.

"He had the carriage drop him here this morning. He must be here somewhere." said I'm guessing the mother. That would make the man the uncle, and the elderly woman the grandmother.

"Well, we're not even sure the darling boy's on the train." said the grandmother. "I'm so sorry, this is such a fuss."

The station master walked up rather angrily as I got on, following Enola. "This train must leave. We're running extremely late."

"You don't understand. This is my son." She seemed very concerned, a good mother.

"It leaves now." Everyone finished boarding as the mother continued to yell and hit the train. I saw them all looking the opposite direction, and turned to see a man in a brown bowler hat boarding the plane, giving a light signal to someone in the family, though who I couldn't tell. Enola walked back over to me as the train began to leave, saying she had found a compartment that was empty for us to stay in. I sat down and began reading and writing in my spell book, which to anyone without magic looks to be a diary. Enola took off her coat and put it down next to her. All of a sudden, a bag began moving above me.