CHAPTER 15

"I look fine." I peeked in through the gate of where the Lords would be voting shortly to see Tewkesbury's mother messing with his hair, trying to fix it while he protested. I laughed a bit at it.

"Don't fuss over him, Caroline." stated his uncle.

"Please, mother." Tewkesbury seemed to be getting a little annoyed, but was handling it well.

"Oh, can I just..." His mother really wanted to fix his hair.

"Don't. I'm trying to have these men's respect. It's quite the style, you know." Glad he likes what I did with it.

"Yes, I suppose it sets your face off nicely." I'm glad she liked it too. He turned over towards the gate and noticed me. I figured he would just talk to me from there, but I guess that wasn't enough as he instructed some guards to let me in. He walked over to meet me close to where the gate was.

"Congratulations. You finally look like the nincompoop Enola said you were born to be." He chuckled, and so did I.

"So, where is your sister, which you are officially now, congratulations."

"Thank you!" Something I forgot to mention. After the Tewkesbury case had been solved, I was officially adopted into the family, seeing as I now had no living relatives, with my father not truly being my father and all. I also changed my last name (Astor to match my true family, and Holmes to match my newfound one). "Enola decided she wanted to become independent and moved into her own place. I'm staying there until I can find a place of my own. She's still trying to find our mother."

"Well, I'm glad she's doing well."

"So, the vote should be good."

"Yes, it's in an hour. It's um, it's quite the thing."

"So I've heard. I'm not supposed to bow or anything, am I? Now that you are whatever you are?"

"Well, arguably, you always had to bow. You just...chose not to." It went silent for a second, both of us just enjoying each other's company. "Mother has said that there's um...there's always room for you with us."

"Your mother clearly hasn't spent enough time with me."

"And what if it was I that...asked you to stay?"

I looked up, (he was a bit taller than me) and thought for a second. "Would that be appropriate? The girl you kissed living with you without anything being official?"

"Then I guess what I should be asking is would you, Alexandra Astor-Holmes, be my girlfriend? And, would you stay with me at my home?"

"Yes, to both of those questions." I broke out into a huge grin and jumped, giving him a huge hug, followed by a kiss from him.

"Well then, since it is now official, I guess I should introduce you to my family, if it's okay with you."

"Tewkesbury, if I'm going to be living with you, then yes I should probably know your family beforehand." I laughed a bit at the question, and he took my arm in his, leading me over to his family.

"Tewkesbury, who might this be?" I would have thought his mother would know me, but maybe not.

"Mother, this is Alexandra Astor-Holmes, the one I told you about."

"I remember you now! You're Sherlock's sister. You were with a widow last time we spoke. How are you doing darling? Oh, and has my son asked you to stay with us? You are always welcome."

"Yes, I am Sherlock's sister, though the widow was simply Enola - my sister - in disguise. I'm doing alright now. And, yes, I have been asked to stay with you. If it's alright with you, I have accepted his invitation."

"Lovely! Any more interesting news? I saw what seemed to be something over there."

"Yes, mother, I have asked Alexandra to be my girlfriend and she has accepted." He seemed a little scared of her reaction, which made me scared.

"Amazing! Well, it's lovely to welcome you into the family dear." I smiled gratefully at her. Tewkesbury turned to his uncle, and I followed in suit.

"Well, I see no problem with it. You sure know how to pick them, Tewkesbury. A lady detective." He nodded approvingly, and I could feel Tewkesbury let out a relieved sigh.

He leaned towards me, still holding my arm. "Ready to go, love?"

"Love? Is that a nickname?"

"I've been saving it for a while now. Too much?"

"No, no es perfecto mi vida." He turned to me confused, and I think I've seen that confused face so much it's starting to grow on me. "It's perfect, mi vida."

"Mi vida?"

"My life."