- 22 -

The pair hadn't spoken at all about their night spent together. Although nothing occurred that should concern anyone, it was still a big step in their relationship. Lia was gone by the time Speirs had woken up, but he couldn't miss the way he was neatly tucked beneath the covers. 

Lia woke that morning still pressed neatly into Speirs' side. His arms were still wrapped around her body as she was sprawled across his chest. It had surprised her that she didn't panic from the close proximity of him, even if she was the one to ask him to stay with her. She had felt nothing but solitude in his embrace. 

The lieutenant walked down the heavily bombed streets of Hagenau. Some of the men shot her weird glances on her journey that she could only guess they were due to what they heard from the prisoner. A feeling switched in her upon their gazes. Typically, she wouldn't be too concerned what the men thought or if they cared how many people she killed; murdered. Now, she was planning a way to explain herself and her actions. 

She shook off the thought as she made her way through the command building. Lia was determined to find Piper after she had yelled at her friend. In the moment, she did not think of her actions. Frightening and yelling at Piper was the last thing she ever wanted or imagined she would do. 

Piper was found shifting through a stack of papers with Winters. A few other officers bustled about in the room but otherwise paid no attention to the new lieutenant walking into the room. Winters was the first to notice her, and stood a little more straight on her approach. 

"Lieutenant." He greeted softly, still unaware on how she were faring after the altercation with the old 'friend'.  

Piper whipped her head around and brought her gaze up to her friend. Lia feared she would flinch, back away, or show some ounce of fear, but the sargeant before her did no such thing. Instead, a bright smile blossomed on her face. 

"Lia! Come here, we were just going over the fact that Sink wants the company to go on yet another patrol, unfortunately." Piper turned back to the papers before her. 

The lieutenant scrunched up her face. She expected some retaliation, a reaction, anything from her young friend. Piper was never scared to speak her mind around her friend, and yet, was letting her get away with yelling at her. It didn't sit well with her. 

"Pip. Can we talk?" Lia paid no mind to the new patrol mission, and gestured instead to an unoccupied room. 

Piper turned her head slightly and stared at the lieutenant with furrowed eyebrows. She began shaking her head, trying to tell Lia that there was nothing to talk about, but Lia's eyes pleaded with her. 

The sargeant set down the papers and shot Winters a small smile as she retreated into the room with her brunette friend and shut the door behind her softly. 

"Lia, there's nothing you have to say. It's okay." Piper said while watching the stressed lieutenant in front of her dig her hands through her hair. 

"It's not okay, Pip. I have no right in treating you like that. I should have never yelled at you, and I'm sorry." Lia's voice was hushed as she paced in the room. 

Piper smiled sadly and walked in front of Lia to stop her frantic pacing. "Lia. I don't ever want to hear another damn apology out of your mouth. What you've been through, what that man had done to you, you had every right to hold a knife to my throat until I told you where he was."

Tears threatened behind Lia's eyes. "I never wanted to scare you." 

Piper pulled Lia into an embrace, rubbing her hands over her back in soothing motions. "If I say it's okay, then it's okay. I was just a little taken aback, that's all. You didn't scare me and I'll never hold your emotions against you." She pulled back, still keeping Lia an arms length away. "How are you doing after everything?"