Chapter 12: When 'Mom' Tired (3)

Hongjoong came home late that night. Like, real late, close to midnight. This was common. He always had a busy schedule and urgent work that had no regard for day or night. Especially with the Fashion Show right around the corner, his lead was required more than ever.

Hongjoong had expected to be tiptoeing into a light-out house. Instead, to his surprise, the spacious living room was fully lit. His husband was on the couch, watching a horror movie on Netflix – odd since he only did that when he tried to stay awake.

Maybe he's waiting for me? Aw, did he miss me this much?

A smile broke on Hongjoong's weary face. Setting down the briefcase, Hongjoong walked to the couch with quickened steps, which immediately halted upon meeting Seonghwa's dead glare. The heavy dark eyebags under his eyes amplified the dark aura emitting from the elder.

"Hongjoong, I'm getting a nanny."

"Oh?"

"What do you mean 'oh'??? I'm serious!"

"I know. And I have always thought you should." Hongjoong said matter-of-factly. His brows pinched, confused of his husband's anger.

"What? I remember you did not want strangers in the house." Even Seonghwa seemed confused.

"I didn't. You did. Remember?" Hongjoong could see the wheel turning in his husband's brain. "When we adopted San and Wooyoung, I suggested that we hired some help, and you said, 'No strangers ever coming near my babies!'" Hongjoong quoted. His smile quirked up mockingly. It was not often for him to be 'right', well, more like never.

Seonghwa saw that smirk, and he could not help feeling annoyed. "Good then!" Seonghwa said, taking his cup to the sink.

"Aw, are you sulking, babe?" Hongjoong teased, back hugging the male as the latter tried to wash the cup. When the latter said nothing, Hongjoong continued, "I just don't want you to be too tired, Hwa. Why don't you tell me what mischief those little demons were up to today?"

"Don't call them that! They are your children." Seonghwa scolded his husband, but the scolding seemed empty with the way he relaxed against the strong embrace.

"And you can't deny the fact that they are little demons."

"Well, not all of them, Yunho and Mingi and Jongho are sweet and harmless."

"Please, Yunho is probably the worst of them all! He's the one coming up with all the troubles and having his brother carry them out for him. You just don't see it because of your weird, closed connection with him."

That comment earned Hongjoong a pinch on his bicep. No one was allowed to talk badly about Seonghwa's pure innocent angel of a puppy.

"Fine fine. Yunho is an angel! Just San and Wooyoung, the demons."

"They are not demons, Joongie! They are just boys being boys. You would not believe what happened today... Wooyoung got peanut butter all on Jongho. I tried to wash it out of Jongho's hair, but it all matted in. So heads up, if you see a bald, round coconut in the crib, it's just our baby. Oh, and he said his first word today too." Seonghwa casually added as he detached from Hongjoong and headed for the stairs.

"What!!! When!! What did he say? I always miss these kinds of monumental events!" Hongjoong shrieked.

Disappointment filled the designer's voice. The other kids came to Hongjoong's life when they already passed that baby stage. They already knew how to roll over, sit up, pull up, and had their first steps, first words. Only Jongho whom they adopted at a few months old.

Though not keen on children, Hongjoong had been excited to witness these milestones that every parent looked forward to. But work in the past months had been hectic, from fall and winter collection to Fashion Week and fashion shows. Hongjoong had missed every single milestone. Jongho pulled himself up when he was working overtime in the weekend. Jongho took the first step when he was in Milan for Fashion Week.

"I wish I can take a break and just be with the children." Hongjoong mumbled sulkily under his breath, but nothing could escape his husband's Vulcan hearing.

"I'm glad you think so." There was a sliver of cheekiness in Seonghwa's tone. "I called your assistant and requested one week of paid vacation for you, starting on Monday." Seonghwa announced casually, walking up the stairs.

"What? I can't. What about all my schedule and meeting?"

"I've asked. You barely have any schedule next week. I've asked Hanmin to reschedule your meetings too." Seonghwa said firmly, ignoring his husband who was chasing him up the stairs.

"But—but—"

"Hongjoong. Stop it! Stop making excuses." Seonghwa abruptly stopped and turned, staring dead at his husband. His voice was filled with annoyance and disappointment that immediately shut down the younger. "Sometimes, I feel like you overwork yourself on purpose to avoid being with the kids. Is that what it is? Me forcing you to adopt kids have driven you out of your own house? Because, just say it and I'll take the kids away immediately. We won't trouble you anymore." His last few words were trembling as tears welled up.

It was known that Hongjoong was not the advocate of having children. Seonghwa had known it since they first met. Their relationship almost failed to pass that deal breaker. Even after years of marriage and 5 kids, it was still a point of anxiety for Seonghwa. On good days, he let himself bathe in the warm loving of his husband and children, temporarily grounding that voice of anxiety in a box at the corner on his heart. On bad days, he woke up in his bed, wondering if he had forced Hongjoong into a life his husband did not wish for.

Today was just one of those days. Tired and restless. Added to the conversation between Hongjoong and Kyungeun he overheard. That anxiety came bubbling up in the ugliest way.

Hongjoong was in panic mode seeing tears rolling down his husband's face. If you asked, Hongjoong was a bit annoyed with the accusation Seonghwa was throwing at him, after the effort he made in the past years. But that was no longer important.

"Honey, please don't think that. I'll die if you take the kids away. I can no longer live without you, nor the kids." Hongjoong took two steps up, so he was now above and at eye level with his husband, then pulled the latter into a hug, patting his broad shoulders. "I know, I haven't been an exemplary husband to you and father to the kids. And I know I'm not the biggest kid person. But I would be a stone person, if I don't love those adorable kids with all my heart after raising, nurturing them since they were in a diaper."

Pulling Seonghwa apart a bit, Hongjoong leaned down to place soft kisses all over his face. "I was just worried of causing inconvenience to people. But I should know my lawyer perfectionist will take care of all that for me." Seonghwa chuckled lightly, his lips curved into small smile, while tear stains still glistened on his cheeks. "It's just a shame 'cos I was hoping to spend my paid leave on pampering you and the kids in, like, Hawaii or Europe."

"Well, thanks to your hard work in the past years. We can go on two months of world travel, and you still have enough days to cross country to Busan and back. I promise you, one week won't make a dent to your accumulated leave."

Seonghwa joked back. Leaving Hongjoong's husband, the taller passed the other and made his way up. His heart was lighter.

Hongjoong sighed in relieve and followed his husband. A week, spent hugging his husband and playing with the kids, did not sound bad at all. "Well, as long as I get to be near you, anywhere will be like a holiday."

"Oh yes, I forgot to tell you. Soobin needs my help on a case. So, you'll be taking care of the kids." Seonghwa informed cheekily before hastening his steps. Hongjoong should really get an experience of being stay-at-home dad, while he'd be out in the world interacting with adults.

Hongjoong was dumbfounded. By the time he came to it, Seonghwa's shadow had disappeared behind the corner. Haste to his step, Hongjoong whined, in the loudest volume he could without disturbing the little demons slumbering behind the closed doors, "Seonghwa, I can't! Please rethink—"

A light chuckle echoed through the silent night as the whines disappeared behind closed door.

No need to wonder, when Seonghwa had decided on something, it was impossible to change his mind.

Notes:

This part's full name should be: When 'mom' tired, everyone suffered 😂

Also, happy birthday Wooyoung!