Chapter 15: Shiber

"SAN!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"

Where was San? A very good question.

But first, let's ask the question: 'Where is Seonghwa?'

Well, Seonghwa was pushing the cart forward as the line was moving. All his attention was on getting the perfect baguette for his family's BBQ dinner. This meant it must have perfect round heads, perfect symmetry, golden crunchy shell and that mouth-watering smell of a freshly baked goodness.

It took some time, but he eventually found a couple that fit his criteria. Happily purchasing for the baguettes, he turned around to learn a lesson: maybe it wasn't that good of an idea to take his eyes off his demon children.

As panic started to fill Seonghwa's heart, Yunho, his eldest son, as if having heard his silent desperate call for help, came running toward him. His heart that was hanging in throat immediately dropped as he pulled Yunho into his embrace.

Seonghwa let out a sigh of relief. But Yunho's next words crushed his relief.

"Daddy, I can't find San anywhere,"

"WHAT?" Seonghwa didn't even realise that his voice had gone up an octave.

"He was there and then he wasn't. The strawberry is too good... I won't eat again..." By the end, Yunho's panic had turned into full-blown weep fest.

Seonghwa scooped Yunho up, trying to console the boy while deciphering his jumbled-up words.

"Hi, I'm Siwon. I was looking after the boys, but San got away when we were in the pantry. I'm really sorry for my recklessness." Said Siwon apologetically, as he walked over.

Siwon was a buff man. He looked like the perfect gentleman with his sleeked back black hair and perfect built. Just Seonghwa's type. Had he not had Hongjoong, he would have been swooned with that chivalrous aura emitting from the older man.

While the man looked like he could be a successful and fierce politician, the apron and the streak of white powder was oddly out of place. Yet, they added a gentle touch and domestic feel to the male.

"It's alright. It's not your job. San's an...energetic boy, I'm sure he's just around somewhere." Said Seonghwa calmly as they started to look around. Siwon had naturally taken over the shopping cart, seeing that Seonghwa's both hands were occupied with the sniffling Yunho, who was hanging on his arms like a little koala and refused to be put down.

"Are you working now? Is this gonna affect your work?" Seonghwa asked guiltily.

"Don't worry. I'm at break now. Besides, I'm the one who lost your child. I should take some responsibility for that." Siwon waved dismissively as he continued to make funny faces at little Mingi, pulling out continuous streaks of giggles from the little one. Seonghwa had to admit, Siwon was very expressive with his face.

"What happened actually? Yunho was too emotional to make any sense."

"Well, I saw two little boys bickering over what cake to get, so I offered them custom made cake..." Then the baker proceeded to tell their little cake decorating adventure.

"I'm sorry you had to take care of them. They could be quite a handful."

"Don't worry. I love children."

"At least the cake, let me pay extra for it." Seonghwa offered.

"You don't have to. It's not like the cake is all my work. I have 2 little helpers to create such a masterpiece. Right, Yunho? Won't your daddy love it?"

The little boy lifted his head from Seonghwa's ample bosom and said, "We put a lot of strawberries. You like strawberries. It's good." His words formed short sentences like when he was a small little boy with limited vocabulary.

Yunho pulled out a strawberry that he had snugged for San and put it into his daddy's hand.

This must be premium. Seonghwa thought as he took a bite.

DING DONG. DING DONG.

The intercom buzz interrupted Seonghwa's compliments for Yunho. Following was the scratchy voice echoing through the supermarket.

"Good evening, our beloved friends. Today, on sale at the fish and seafood aisle is our freshly cut salmon from the deep, mystical land of Alaska. From just XXX money, you can bring home a nutritious piece of delicious salmon." The scratchy voice stopped for a few seconds, as a few people rushed toward the seafood aisle, before continuing whimsically, "And also on sale, in the claw machines at the front of our store, you can find a missing child. If this boy of 6 years old with dark hair and sharp jawline is your child, you can take him home for FREE."

"San!" Yunho exclaimed happily. Like all his energy was returned, he slid down Seonghwa's body and rushed forward, pulling Seonghwa's hand.

"I'm sorry about Yesung." Siwon said suddenly when they were rushing to the entrance. "The broadcaster." The baker added, seeing Seonghwa's confused face. "He has a bit of a 4D sense of humour. He didn't really mean San is actually an item on sale."

Seonghwa merely responded with an "oh". He could not care less to be honest. He was just happy his boy was safe and sound.

A bit too safe and sound, you might say.

Let's just say, when Seonghwa got to the 'crime scene', his eyes were popping out of their sockets.

Now, let's talk about San and how he got to where he was.

The claw machines were located right at the store's entrance. A smart tactic to get the whiny, spoiled kids to make their parents spend money to buy their happiness.

But San wasn't a whiny, spoiled kid. He was 'mature', and 'independent' (quoted by San himself).

So, even though a particular toy caught his eyes, he wasn't going to cost his daddy a single coin.

But he had a plan! He saw it on TV, and he knew he could do it too.

First, he had to sneak out alone. He was looking for a way out the whole trip, and when the opportunity presented itself, he took it.

Mission one, accomplished.

Now, mission two. How was he going to get the toy out?

Lie face down, and cause a ruckus till the staffs gave in and gave him the toy? No, he was too 'mature' for that. Plus, the floor was too dirty. He wasn't gonna use his favourite shirt to wipe the floor.

Use his 'manly' charm and beg for a coin to win the toy? He could, but his 'beauty' wasn't that cheap.

He had only ONE CHOICE!

The plan was smooth sailing at first.

And then... it deteriorated...

So, by the time Seonghwa got there, he found his 6-year-old sitting in glass cage, holding onto what appeared to be a stuffed dog, waving his hand happily at him.

The next bit went by as a blur for Seonghwa. The store manager came and unlocked the back door to let San out. Seonghwa remembered profusely apologising and asking to pay for the toy, but the manager merely squatted him away.

He, Leeteuk was his name, even decided to give San the toy for free. He was clearly whipped by San's cuteness. He even gave them the cake.

***

"Dad! I have a new friend! This is Shiber!" San ran into the garden. Hongjoong was preparing the grill.

"He's very cute. Go introduce him to your brothers." Hongjoong patted San's head and pointed him to Wooyoung, Jongho and Yeosang playing at the garden table under the oak tree.

Seonghwa walked in with bags and bags in his hands; Yunho quickly followed, holding a cake box carefully with his two tiny hands.

Hongjoong jogged to his husband's side to help with the bags, while Yunho went to the table to put down the cake.

"You seem tired? How was the shopping?" Asked Hongjoong.

Seonghwa answered, after a moment of silence. "Thrilling... it was thrilling."