Chapter 214: Evening Activities

No matter how much I bugged her, Mother refused to let up on her sour mood for the rest of the night. Father as well wouldn't even budge a smile as they both held me, somehow angrier than me of all people when I was the one that received the "gift."

     "Mother, please, it's not even that big of a-"

     But words were lost on her. Looking to the side as I'd somehow managed to make them settle on a sofa between one of the windows, having dragged them away from the one they'd almost chased me through, all I saw were slits in those blue eyes.

     She just held me into her and stared out over the crowd, discontent with that entire day it seemed.

     "Father-"

     But he was also not willing to listen to reason, arm around Mother's shoulder and therefore a hand on my head from the other side.

     So, melting into the embrace, I sighed. It really didn't bug me that badly. It was just a set of shackles for my hands and feet with an Orixen holding the chains together in the middle.

     I'm honestly surprised Zuelis had the fashion sense to pull that off.

     But I wasn't willing to delve into thoughts about the gods in the least bit. I just wanted to relax and enjoy my evening, having erased almost everyone's minds of that strange thing I did earlier-

     Which one?

     Kiki, you're on vacation.

     We're in the same room. It's hard not to hear.

     Then close the door!

     But she chose to keep mingling instead and left it up to me to separate our minds.

     "That girl..."

     "Don't do anything to Kiki."

     "What! I didn't do anything, it's her-!"

     But the stares told me they thought otherwise. So I looked around the room for a lifeline, something, anything to get me away from those gloomy people so I could actually enjoy my night-

     "Ah!" I tried to bolt up, but Mother floated to her feet as I dragged her up. She was just so stubborn sometimes... "Brownie!"

     The second most applauded warrior of the day appeared with tired eyes and a servant pushing on his back. Oh, never mind, three servants pushing on his back. I didn't see the others.

     His gaze swung over with the same blank expression he always had, but just a bit of his poise broke when seeing Mother digging her heels into the ground as I tried to drift forward. Eventually, I broke free, flying over the heads of the crowd and getting comfortable on his shoulder with a smile.

     "You-"

     But before I could get into it, I was cut off.

     "So what about me?"

     "Uh...what?" I blinked and looked over the edge of Brownie's shoulder, down at the maid that had so calmly walked up and planted herself in front of him.

     Thérèse stared at me with dead eyes, before raising a hand. "Where's my gift?"

     "..."

     For a few moments, I had to think. Thérèse was born...not in Janie. What could I possibly-

     "You said you would leave my Status alone so you could see how much he could grow from the first fight to the second fight. You've seen it. He's a lot stronger. Now where's mine?"