Chapter 215: How I Learned What Love Is

Thankfully, I was spared the lecture. Grandmother was too tired to give it, and Grandfather barely opened the door himself, apparently having been held down by children that crashed on top of him as they all retreated to that place long ago.

     "Oh-!"

     He just put me in an unexpected, tight hug, and my everything was trapped at my sides.

     But just as quickly, he released me. Putting a hand on my head, leaning over to get on my level and give a hard stare over. The creases around his eyes appeared tired for more than one reason.

     "We hope you didn't stir up so much trouble with your activities earlier, and that you can sleep soundly tonight, Granddaughter."

     I went to open my mouth and reply, but he kept going.

     "We also hope that you will be as safe as you can be this year, and that no matter what you're doing, you still remember to come back to those that are waiting for you."

     Sighing, my head tilted to the side under the weight of his hand. Pulling the scarf down from my mouth while putting up the glamor again. "Yes, Grandfather."

     "And you had best remember to treat the people around you kindly. Like friends, like family. Regardless of relation, regardless of opposition. Even in politics you must be cordial and have your manners. Erasing everyone's memories is not a solution, and neither is murder."

     "I know-"

     "But you must remember, even if you know, in the moment."

     "I already kept my promise to you today, Grandfather. Am I that hopeless in your eyes?"

     He breathed in deeply, thinking for a moment. I didn't even have it in me to be offended.

     So he just drew me in for another hug rather than answering. It was a good hug, but it didn't excuse-

     "Happy birthday, Firea-Madeline."

     Ohh...so close...

     If he just hadn't used...that...the hyphenated part.

     But when I was somewhat released from the hug, after having a need-to-shave kiss planted on my cheek that I winced at, there was a small box presented. Everyone with their small boxes, it was like they coordinated that.

     "Thank you, Grandfather, Grandmother."

     She couldn't hear, but it was necessary to say. It was from both of them. When they gave things, it was from the both of them. Everything they did was together with love.

     I tucked it away and let Grandmother hold me after teleporting over to her, accepting the silent love. It was like she wasn't allowed to speak to me until she lectured me in the morning.

     "Have a good night. I'll see you in the capital."

     "You will be here tomorrow-"

     "Oh, but I won't. If I know a lecture's coming, why would I stick around for it? Especially when I already know everything you're about to say. Have a good night-!"

     And I was gone with a smile and a wave, because I was just so cute.

     "Now then...to bring it to a close-"

     "And what do you think you're doing?"

     "Hm? Well, I just wanted to watch. It's not like I can participate without freaking people out."