Chapter 21

THREE MONTHS LATER

I have been riding Arabella in the rodeo's for the past three months. It wasn't like anything that I had expected. I love it so much. I can't ever see myself wanting to stop.......Whenever I am riding I forget about all the problems in my life and believe me I have a lot of problems. For one thing, I'm married to a guy that my dad basically forced me too marry yet I can't say that I entirely hate the situation. In which, I would NEVER tell Lucas that! EVER!! I know we have kissed before, but we haven't gone farther than that and ever since our last kiss three months ago we haven't kissed since then. We just talk to each other. I can honestly say that Lucas Gates is my best friend. We talk about everything. I guess that's a good thing. I believe that you are supposed to be best friends with your husband or wife? Right? Even though, we aren't supposed to stay married for the rest of our lives. At least, we get along, while we are married.

I'm sitting on the couch reading a magazine when Lucas walks in through the front door of our place. He has a girl with him.....and it's Haley.

Wait, what's going on here?

He looks at me as I'm staring at them and gestures for me to follow him.

Haley sits down on the couch as we go into Lucas's room. He shuts the door behind him. I sit down on the bed and sigh.

"So, what's she doing here?"

"I don't know....we've been texting and I kind of miss her.." He trails off.

"But what about our marriage ?" I stutter.

"Peyton, our marriage is fake."

I stare at him wide eyed, letting that sink in. I thought that maybe he had feelings for me too, but I guess that my assumption was wrong. All those things he said about us three months ago...did it mean nothing? Was it a lie? What about our kiss?

"I thought that you and Haley were over."

"We are, but we've been talking and she says that she really misses me. So, if its's okay with you me and her are going to hang out in my room for a little bit. If that's ok?"

"Yeah, that's fine." I say after a long silence. "I'll just be in the living room." I walk out of his bedroom as fast as I can, fighting back the tears that are so desperately trying to escape from my eyes. Lucas comes and get's Haley, quickly, and they go to his room. He closes the door. I sit back down on the couch and attempt to read the magazine again, but I just can't get into it.

I hear a knock on the door. Who could this be ? The only people who ever stop by are Lucas's mom or my dad and they usually call first before they come.

I get up and open the door.

My eyes turn into saucers.

"Long time, no see." Joseph Gates says to me.

My mouth falls open and I faint.

My life is a circus.

Mom, I seriously need you.