Cute Boys... - 6 (Part 1)

Haru Ahane was certain that he ascended to sainthood. The mere self control he had displayed this morning while Y/n had fumbled and dropped his phone — Oh, it made Haru wished he had indulged in adding all those kissy faces to his name in Y/n's contacts. Then again, he did not want to overwhelm the terribly shy boy. A small little heart, he decided on, to show that Y/n was his. Haru had also shamelessly scrolled through the (h/c) boy's other contacts. There was only one name: Kisho, and if that didn't make Haru wonder...

But it's fine, because Y/n had agreed to come with him to karaoke tonight and his name was the one with the heart by it in the (h/c) boy's phone.

Wait —

Y/n had agreed to come to karaoke with him tonight.

Haru panicked, startling so bad he knocked his knee into his desk leg.

The resulting collision was loud enough that their teacher stopped the lesson partway through and asked him, "Is everything alright, Mr. Ahane?"

With a flush overtaking his face, Haru mumbled a confirmation and tried not to look behind him. In their seating arrangement, Haru was in the front row and Y/n was in the last row, at the very back. And he sat alone. Usually, Haru felt the distance between them and ached, but now he felt all too aware of Y/n's presence. Like it prickled the back of his neck and made him feel restless. And universe help him, they were barely fifteen minutes into the first hour.

Sara, who was sitting next to Haru, gave the boy a small nudge with her elbow. Her expression seemed to scream, What's wrong with you?

Haru caught the look and shook his head dismissively — and then he recalled he wasn't attending karaoke alone with Y/n, but with his friends as well. Blushing, Haru quickly penned a sentence down in his notebook and turned the page in Sara's direction.

I invited Y/n out to karaoke with us tonight, it read.

Sara glanced at it, her eyes moving across the page. Then she looked up at Haru and pressed the nib of her sparkly pink pen to his paper.

What did he say? she wrote in glittering bubble gum-colored letters, an exaggerated loop accentuating the "y."

Haru couldn't stop the smile that overtook his face when he wrote:

He said yes.

Sara's responding smile nearly outmatched his. She punched him lightly in the arm, unable to suppress her small giggles. They were quickly reprimanded by the teacher, but they still kept sharing looks and smiles. Sara's was unbearably smug and knowing. She was genuinely pleased her best friend was finally getting somewhere with his hopeless, decade-old crush though. That poor boy had not been able to gain ground in years, and now suddenly L/n was going to karaoke with them tonight. Even though something about the (h/c) boy made Sara instinctually wary, she knew she wouldn't let that feeling show or influence her behavior toward the quiet boy. She couldn't, if she wanted to keep her best friend status with Haru. And she cared a lot more about Haru than she did about whatever preconceived notions she had about L/n.

But then her brow furrowed. She wrote at the end of her own notebook page now, What about Emica? She just called him a freak yesterday. Sara poked at Haru to get his attention and then showed her message to him. I'm fine with him, she continued to write, but Kei and Minoru don't like L/n either. And Emica invited Chiasa and Kaori. They REALLY don't like him.

Sara added a few more underlines to emphasize her words. She looked over to see Haru's reaction and was almost heartbroken. Haru looked angry and frustrated, a rare frown tugging his lips down.