Unfortunate

(Y/n) sat alone on a rock at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, gloomy and sad as he soaked up what little sun made it down from the surface. The tip of his tail fin flowed with the gentle currents, a torn up mess of thin, frayed skin.

When he was thirteen, back when he lived in the Pacific Ocean, he had been attacked by a Leviathan Crab. It left his tail in such a mangled state that he could barely swim anymore. (Y/n) sighed as he watched a boat pass overhead, knowing there were humans aboard.

Back then, those glorious days when he could still glide through the water with ease, he would watch any humans who passed through, infatuated from the very moment he laid eyes upon them.

He used to fantasize about being a human, imagining what it would be like to walk and dance on the wooden deck of one of those glorious boats. Now, he could barely make it to the surface, let alone keep pace with a boat...

"(Y/n), dinner is ready."

Naida, (Y/n)'s best friend and housemate swam up beside him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. His gaze never left the boat as it continued to move, leaving him far behind.

"Still indulging your fantasies?"

"Maybe..."

She pat his shoulder comfortingly, gazing up at the boat with him.

"I'm sorry."

(Y/n) didn't respond. He hated Naida's pity. He hated everyone's pity. He may have been crippled, but he was not useless.

With a bit of effort (and Naida's assistance), he managed to get inside the rather small place they called home. Naida had agreed to provide for him since he couldn't hunt. It had been exactly seven years since he became crippled.

They passed by a mirror and (Y/n) grimaced, quickly looking away from himself. His body had been marred with scars. It was a miracle that he, a young teenager at the time, had survived such a vicious attack.

His chest was a mess of jagged (scar color) scar tissue, and his tail looked no better, torn all to hell. Moving it was hard, and it barely displaced the water anymore. Finally, there was a large healed gash across his face that ran diagonal over the bridge of his nose.

That was the scar his fellow merfolk stared at the most, the true reminder of what happened and what he was too weak to protect. To them, he was a liability. No amount of pity would make them care for him. So long as he was helpless, they wouldn't interfere.

Naida cared because she knew him before the accident. If she met him after... well, she wouldn't be with him. She'd be off living her life in a completely different area, one of the other six seas.

(Y/n) tried not to think about that as they ate, focusing his mind somewhere else. When they were finished, Naida smiled at him.

"So, how was your day? Did you get any gardening done?"

"Unfortunately, no... I... I couldn't get to the gate, I just... didn't have the energy. Getting to that rock was the only exercise I could manage today."

"So... it got worse?"

She looked at him with concern, worried for her friend. (Y/n) hesitated. He knew the words would hurt on his tounge, that they'd burn him and destroy any pride he had left. He couldn't avoid the facts forever... now was time to face the brutal, heartbreaking truth.

"... Yes."

Naida looked away from him. He knew she was just trying to hide her pity from him. She was terrible at it. (Y/n) closed his eyes.

"I can't live like this anymore, Naida."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm suffering, and on top of that, I am a burden on you."

"You are not a burden!"

It was a lie. It had always been a lie. Hunting for herself was hard enough... feeding both of them was taking up most of her free time.

"We both know I am. We are not immune to the food chain. That fucking crab was evidence enough for me... we were never invincible. Those creatures are made to pick off the sick and weak in these waters. You can't protect me forever. You need to let me go..."

(Y/n) didn't like thinking about death... still, he knew his time was up. If he didn't have the energy to tend to his garden anymore, then... he had nothing. It was time to end this torment. Naida was crying now, though it was hard to see since they were underwater.

"But I don't want to say goodbye! N-not like this... never like this!"

Of course, she knew this day would come. They both did.

"There is no choice. Keeping me here... it has deprived us both of happiness."

"..."

"Naida... I'm asking you as a friend. Do not torture me any longer with this painful existence."

"C-can't we just... try something else first?"

(Y/n) sighed, looking down at his clasped hands.

"Naida... we both know there is no coming back from this. The skin is too damaged, and the bone itself has been compromised. What else could possibly be done?"

"There's a sea witch who lives near where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic. I've heard he is capable of miracles."

"... Miracles?"

That piqued (Y/n)'s interest. Maybe... maybe he could indulge his childish fantasy a bit more. Maybe he could become human... but he was too old for those fantasies and too broken for hope.

"What makes you think he'd help me? I don't think I'd be able to swim out so far... even with assistance. My body is so weak. It just... doesn't seem possible."

"My mother told me of his existence. She suggested I request his service shortly after... your accident. He is a Certified Celebrant."

"She... expected me to die?"

"Her heart was in the right place."

Nadia smiled sheepishly, clasping her hands together.

"How... comforting."

"Anyway, I know how to contact him. He'll show up if I call."

(Y/n) sighed, gently setting himself upon a rock.

"Well, don't get your hopes up. He'll probably just tell me that I'm one small current away from the grave."

"Oh, please. If he really does deal in miracles, this will be child's play for him!"

(Y/n) couldn't help the chuckle that rumbled in his chest.