A Price Worth Paying

Emlyn sighed as he gently ran his fingers through (Y/n)'s hair, cradling the merman's head while he peacefully slept.

Despite what he had firmly told (Y/n), the other male managed to break him time and time again with his adorable begging. He had been going to the surface for a whole week nonstop, and now he was suffering from blood bloom poisoning.

The merman's skin was hot and flushed, yet sickly all the same. He wouldn't be able to go home until the poison wore off.

Emlyn ran his free hand through his own hair, contemplating his choices up till now. Was blood bloom the proper ingredient to pick? It had the benefit of enticing two effects he wanted in the potion, but... its sap was highly addictive. Some of the greatest merfolk in history had even been killed by its deceptively sweet sap.

He could've used two ingredients in place of the easy blood bloom, such as crystal bower and demon brittlebush...

Admittedly, part of his decision was the attachment he felt to the blood bloom flower. He used to have a garden of them, back in the twilight zone. Emlyn hadn't been completely honest with the merman who was currently sleeping on him. Talking about it would just be too painful.

He hoped those lovely flowers were doing well without him...

(Y/n) shifted, rolling so that his face was sinking into the cool flesh of Emlyn's stomach. Emlyn sighed, enjoying the heat radiating from the warm-blooded merman as he squeezed his body ever closer.

If he wasn't careful, he just might end up in the same situation all over again...

"Oh, what am I going to do with you, my lovely little sprat..."
_______________________________________

(Y/n) groaned, eyes fluttering open to a throbbing headache pounding at his temple like a sharp rock.

"Good morning, (Y/n). Did you sleep well?"

"No... my head... hurts."

"Oh. Well, this should make you feel better."

Emlyn was quickly at his side, gently pouring the thick, nauseating medicine that he'd been taking for six days down his burning throat.

(Y/n) made a pained sound, choking on the bitterly gamey taste assaulting his limited senses.

"Would you like to take a short swim? It might help you recover a little faster."

The merman simply shook his head. All those trips to the surface had one lasting effect that he had never thought of... he hated his body more than ever.

The limited movement, the blandness of familiar sights... he wanted something permanent. Hell, (Y/n) was willing to chop his own damn tail off if it meant he could stay as a human forever.

"Are you sure?"

"Emlyn..."

The cecaelia gave his full attention. This was the first time in those six days that (Y/n) was fully coherent.

"Make me a human... a real human. I... I have no desire to return here."

"W-wha-! (Y/n), do you have any idea what you're asking of me?! E-even if I wanted to, th-the poison..."

Emlyn shivered as (Y/n) took hold of his hand, pulling the cecaelia down and as close as possible.

"Please... I can't live in this body anymore."

That was the moment Emlyn realized just what he had done by indulging (Y/n). Helping the merman was one thing, but his blind fondness for the other had allowed a serious addiction to form... whether from blood bloom sap or simply a strong desire to be human.

"I... (Y/n), a transformation like that is extremely hard to be undone, and your voice will be mine for as long as you don't return. Are... are you really sure that is what you want?"

The look in his (e/c) eyes, though pained and dazed, was unmistakable.

"Yes..."

"(Y/n)..."

But Emlyn could see the desire burning within him. This was a true wish, something even his heart and soul wanted. How could anyone refuse him? How could Emlyn refuse him?

"Ok... ok, (Y/n). I'll make you something permanent."

And the merman smiled, that desperation boiling beneath his skin slowly melting away. Emlyn had barely made it to his alchemy table before he heard (Y/n) speak again.

"Thank you... so much."

Emlyn closed his eyes, drowning every negative thought beneath a pile of positive ones.

"You're welcome, (Y/n)."