𝟘𝟙𝟚-𝔽𝕝𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℂ𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 ℂ𝕙𝕠𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝔹𝕒𝕣𝕤

It turns out that healing a chest wound hurts almost as badly as getting one.

The girl, I found out her name was Cleo, spent twenty minutes smearing on ointments and creams over the large gashes in my chest, muttering her apologies as she did so. Each new round of creams sent a fresh fire over the wound, making me grit my teeth and curse loud enough for the entire camp to hear.

When the girl was finally done, she handed me a small cup of nectar before getting up. "Drink this and take it easy for a few days. The creams will accelerate your healing and provide a kind of barrier so no bacteria can get in while you heal. You'll be good as new soon." She tells me in a gentle voice, and I give her an appreciative smile.

"Thank you." I tell her, and she gives me a bow of her head before she walks off. I spot Zoë standing to the side, and I give her a careful look as I slowly stand, my legs still shaking slightly as I pop back the cup of nectar.

Warmth flows through me, and I hum as all the pain I had once been feeling dissipates completely. "Cleo is a skilled healer. Thee is lucky she was there to help." Zoë remarks, and I shrug my shoulders.

"She's nice." I say simply, looking past Zoë and towards the camp behind her.

The hunters had set up their tents and brought out their supplies with a quick efficiency, and now everyone was mingling and resting before we had to set out again. "Lady Artemis wishes to have a word with thee, Danae Price."

I wince at the use of my full name and nod my head. "Lead the way sunshine." Zoë obviously didn't appreciate the nickname, but as far as I was concerned, anyone who had issues with Thalia, also had issues with me.

I let Zoë lead me through the camp until we had reached the last tent in the row, and she held open the small flap for me to step inside before coming in herself. The inside of the tent was warm and welcoming from the outside chill, and I took my time observing the tent before facing the goddess.

The walls were decorated with a variety of animal pelts and skins— and similar rugs were laid across the floor. A golden brazier shone brightly in the center of the tent, no smoke or fuel polluting the air as it warmed the room.

Blankets and pillows were piled on the side of the room where Artemis and Bianca Di Angelo sat, both of them looking at me as I walked towards them. "I heard you wanted to speak with me?" I ask, and the small girl, Artemis, nodded her head, gesturing towards the empty seat beside her.

"Yes. Please sit."

I take a hesitant seat on the ground across from her and next to Bianca, my hands fidgeting with themselves in front of me.

Bianca looked as if she was lost in thought, seemingly ignoring me as I sat down next to her. "I was just speaking with Bianca about joining the Hunt." I raise my brows, looking towards the small girl next to me.

Bianca gave me a weak smile, and I pursed my lips. "I won't tell you what to do. But your brother will not be able to come with you." I remind her gently, and she winces.

"I know."

Artemis gives the girl a small smile before shifting her focus back to me. "I understand that you yourself would be a great candidate for our ranks." I tense, preparing to shut the goddess down and tell her that I had no intention of joining her Hunt, but Artemis doesn't pause long enough to let me speak. "However, I cannot allow you to."

The words make me pause, and I give the goddess a confused look. "Why not?" I may not have wanted to join her but knowing that I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to irked me.

"Your path is already laid for you, my dear. I am as unable to change as you are. If I were to allow you to join the Hunt, the whole of Olympus would be in an uproar. I wish it weren't so, but it is out of my control." I purse my lips together into a thin line, crossing my arms firmly over my chest.