Survive the night

"So, now what? Were lost in the jungle and it's rare that we will find our way out before night." Linda said. Again, Darren took charge of the situation. " Here's what we must do to survive. First, we find shelter. In the morning the jungle is hot but the night is a whole different story. Then, we make a fire to keep us warm. We have to take turns garding the fire through the night and throw more sticks if the fire gets smaller."

We went to find a cave or tree we could sleep in. Alas, there was a tiny cave near the hiding tree. Darren told us girls to look for dry branches and stones to make the fire. It was a race against time and I pushed Mia and Linda to hurry for the sun would set any time soon. After some time, we came back arms full of branches, twigs and pebbles.

Jake and Darren made the fire, throwing the stones, twigs and branches into one big pile. Darren kept an armful aside so if the fire gets too small, we could throw in more twigs.

While they were doing that, the girl gang went to explore the small cave. "If we all squeeze in, there is not enough room. Looks like we need to find another cave." Linda said. "Wait. There's a small path leading down. Come, let's explore it. Perhaps there will be another cave deep down." Mia suggested. Then, we got the shock of our lives. " O-m-g! Why is there so much food here?! Apples, sandwiches and a puddle of water! Perfect for our stay in the cave for the night. Actually more than enough." I blabbered. Mia mumbled something incoherent and ate a corner of the sandwich.

"These sandwiches are moldy. And look, the apples have worms in them. I wouldn't recommend eating them." Mia spat out the mouldy sandwich out of her mouth and took a sip of water from her 2litre water bottle. Only the sight of water made my throat parched so I also took a sip from my one litre bottle. Linda did the same from her one litre bottle. Then, we heard the boys calling out.

As we emerged from the secret tunnel, Jake and Darren were drying their sneakers by the fire and eating some of their snacks. "Better eat at least one of your snacks. We should put all of our snacks together in one backpack so it's like a storage of food." Darren suggested. In the end, here's what our food 'cupboard' had- two bars of protein bars, a bar of chocolate, a packet of oat meal biscuits, four butterscotch cookies and a 200ml milk packet. We all ate a cookie each and drank sips of the milk.

Jake suggested we tell night time stories but everyone was tired so we turned in early. I snuggled close with Katie, but I could see Jake guarding the fire. " Pss...Scarlett, you still awake?" In the darkness, I heard Linda. I whispered back a yes and she took my arm, leading me down to the cave full of mouldy sandwiches. " I have to tell you the secret. So now is the best time."

" Last year, Justin came to my house. His minions, Waker and Evan, where holding my most prized possessions. My hard earned money was with him too.  Justin threatened to take it away if I don't obey him. So I did what I was told, and pretended to be your friend. I'm sorry but as we grew older, i felt our connection grew and to tell you the t...truth..." Linda's hands trembled and sobs could be heard echoing. I put my arm around her shoulders. Part of me was mad as she was just pretending for a year. However, the other part of me forgave her as she stood up for me many times.

" Linda, stop crying. It's okay. They threatened you, so it's their fault. We can plan to expose them when we get back to school." Though we might not...I thought. Carefully, I dabbed her eyes with my hands and escorted her back to the cave where the others were.

That night, I could officially not sleep. My mind was planning on something. To expose Justin and his minions and to bring back justice-for Linda.

Hey readers! So I tried to write this chapter as fast as possible so you enjoy it! Here's a cute pic. I saw it at a shop. Please continue to support me!

                                                       ~762 words

                                                       ~762 words