Bitter

• Bitter •

Izuku skipped into the common room, grinning happily and clutching a paper bag. He walked over to Uraraka first, who was sitting next to Iida and Asui.

"Hey guys!" Izuku exclaimed energetically.

"Hey Izuku" they chorused.

Izuku excitedly dug his hand into the paper bag and brought out a handful of his favorite candy – bubble bursts, a soft candy that melted in your mouth and exploded with an inferno of flavors starring bubble gum. Izuku passed out a bunch to them each, after dividing the bunch evenly.

"What's the occasion Izuku-kun?" Asui asked, "Why the candy?"

Izuku smiled, "Why are you asking questions? Just take the candy. Can't I be nice to my own friends?"

They thanked him and Izuku left to find some of his other friends to pass out the candy to.

He found Kirishima peacefully eating a breakfast a few seats away from Kaminari. He gave candy to all the kids he saw in school, whether they were in a different class or not, whether he knew them personally or not. Everyone thanked him, and when someone asked him why he was passing out candy, he always answered the same thing:

"Can't I just be nice to my friends?"

***

After his classes, Izuku got permission to go out, and was looking around curiously for his friends to invite them along. He found them sitting cozily in the common room, with cups of tea and a plate of cookies in front of them.

"Hey guys. I finally got permission to go outside. Anyone want to tag along?" he asked cheerily.

They gave each other a look and Jiro spoke up for them, "Sorry Midoriya. We're kinda busy here. Maybe another time..."

"Yeah, sorry deku-kun..." Uraraka added, looking slightly guiltily.

"Oh no! It's all right. I'll just go by myself. Gotta buy some... equipment stuff you know?" Izuku smiled.

"I'm really sorry Izuku... Its just, we're already comfortable here and we don't really feel like going outside." Iida said.

"No worries Iida! We always have next time!"

***

Izuku strolled around in the mall alone, when suddenly, his eyes caught sight of a sweet shop in one corner. He walked in keenly and had to stop a few seconds to marvel at the variety of cakes in the shop.

"Are they sweet?" Izuku asked the lady behind the counter.

"The sweetest in the world." she answered.

So Izuku picked out a circle shaped strawberry cake and paid before walking out of the store.

***

Izuku walked back to the common room where his friends sat in a circle playing cards.

"Can I play with you guys?" he asked asked.

"Sorry, Midoriya. We've been playing for a while now and I'd hate to start again when I know I'm gonna win."  Momo said, focusing on her cards.

"Hah! You may be book smart, bitch, but I'm the fucking king of strategy!" Katsuki boasted before turning to Izuku and seeing his box of cake.

"What did you buy the fucking cake for Deku?" He asked.

Izuku smiled faintly and answered, "I just felt like eating it." Bakugo shrugged and turned back to his cards, as Denki slapped a card on a stack of card in the center.

"I don't see how you're going to come back from that!"

"You just fucking wait! I'll win for sure!"

"You wish!"

"Bet, you fucking nerd!"

Izuku stared at them for a moment and then turned to the table near them in the common room. He carefully took the cake out of the box and used a wooden fork to directly eat from the large cake. He chewed on the cake. His eyes watered and he took another large bite from the cake. Tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

"It tastes so bitter." Izuku said, his bottom lip trembling.

"That's silly Izuku." Mina said, not looking up to him, "Why would cake taste bitter?"

A fat drop of his tears ran down his face and on the back of his hand. He stared at the droplet of salty water, and stuffed his mouth again with the cake. More tears came running down his face and he stared at his friends who were oblivious to his inner turmoil.

"Happy Birthday to me..." Izuku choked out.

No one heard.