Chapter 13: Solstice

Draco did not see Granger again until mid-June. She came into her laboratory at Trinity just as he was recasting her wards.

She looked as sweaty as he was, and rather more harried.

"You're limping," observed Granger as she trotted past Draco, her Healer robes streaming behind her.

"Perceptive."

"Bludger?"

"Manticore."

This gave her pause. She pivoted. "Have you had it looked at?"

"Obviously."

"By whom?"

"Healer Parnell."

"Oh, he's wonderful. Excellent. Bye."

With that, Granger closeted herself in her office.

Draco might've been offended at this cavalier treatment of his esteemed self, except that he recognised the distant look in Granger's eyes – the far away, thinking of something, probably solving world hunger look.

Under the pretext of double-checking the interior warding, Draco sauntered into the laboratory proper. As always, it was irreproachably neat. It seemed to him that there were more bottles of Sanitatem than before, and also a few other healing potions of varying potencies, clustered into groups. Again, no written notes anywhere, nor any real indication of what Granger was working on.

He was bending over a group of tiny phials, trying to determine if any of them contained either the Green Well sample, or the Beltane Ash, or the mystery substance she had harvested at Ostara, but he was interrupted by Granger poking her head out of her office.

"You won't find much of interest there," said Granger when she saw him snooping.

"I need to learn The Computer," said Draco, a hand on his chin.

"It would help."

"Teach me," said Draco.

He'd rather expected Granger to leap at the occasion. However, she said, "No."

"No?"

"I'd rather keep you useless, for strategic reasons."

"Ungenerous of you."

"I know," said Granger. "By the way, I have a favour to ask of you."

"The answer is no," said Draco.

"Brilliant," said Granger. "That's sorted, then."

She pulled her head back into her office and shut the door again.

"What's sorted?" asked Draco to the closed door.

"Nothing," said Granger from within.

"Tell me."

"No."

"Is it to do with the Solstice coming up? Litha?"

"Go away – you said you didn't want to help."

"I'm opening this door," said Draco.

"Don't. I'm not decent."

"Liar."

"It's true. I'm undressing," came Granger's voice. It was slightly muffled.

Draco paused. "Bit convenient, isn't it?"

"Just give me a sodding minute."

Draco gave her a sodding minute.

Granger pulled open the door again. She was accompanied by the cold draft of cooling charms and a (surprisingly enticing) whiff of antiseptic and sweat. Her hair was a mussed-up bun at her crown. She had removed her Healer robes and replaced them with Muggle clothes.