Chapter 20: Draco Malfoy the Errand Boy, Life and Times of

Draco needn't have worried about Granger fussing. That was the problem with Healers; they had seen too much and a minor issue like a lethal envenoming was of little interest, really, when it was on the mend.

Granger opened the door, observed his neck from a polite distance, pronounced herself pleased that it was healing so nicely, and then asked him what he wanted.

There was no Romance about Granger. No luring her into coy guessing, or eyelash-fluttering suppositions. She was terribly pragmatic.

"Well?" asked Granger. "Is something the matter?"

Draco produced the flowers.

"Oh!" gasped Granger, with that expression of surprised delight that Draco was coming to find rather addictive.

"And no – they did not sprout from McLaggen's corpse."

"Of course they didn't," said Granger, accepting the bouquet. "They are far too beautiful."

Draco gave her a small bow. "With my mother's compliments. She's attached a letter for you. I am also to convey my exuberant thanks to you, for saving my life. Please tell her I did so, if she asks."

"Your ebullience quite knocked me off my feet."

"Perfect."

"Do I put them in water?" asked Granger, holding the gently fluttering bouquet to her face.

"I believe my mother charmed them to last – but I suppose it couldn't hurt."

Granger disappeared into the cottage. "You can come in, if you'd like," she called, "if you haven't any other plans?"

"My only other plans involve being smothered by the elves."

Granger tutted. "Poor darling."

Which was the second time that a woman had teased Draco for his hardships today and he felt rather put upon.

"I shall offer you a very standard cup of tea," said Granger. "Will that be refreshing, after all of the coddling you've endured?"

"Quite. Make it sub-par, even."

"I'll forget to boil the water."

"Excellent," said Draco, seating himself on a kitchen chair.

Granger Transfigured a vase out of a glass. The fluttering, glittering bouquet was put in pride of place upon her kitchen worktop. Her cat leapt up beside it and touched at the moving petals with a curious paw.

"Lovely!" said Granger. "I'll have to work out how to charm it to follow me around, depending on what room I'm in, so that I can look at it all the time."

"I'll inform my mother. That will flatter her."

Granger discovered the envelope. "Shall I read her letter now, or later?"

"Later, please," said Draco. "I've heard quite enough about her relief that her treasured son is still alive."

Granger duly set the letter aside. "She wants you to quit the Auror business, you know. She is quite disgusted with it."

"I know. She never loved it to begin with. The Nundu incident is the closest I've come to dying on the job. Bit of a shock for her."

Granger, who had been idly touching the hummingbird hyacinths, turned to him with a grimace of guilt. "I feel terrible about it."

"You? Why? You saved me."

"Yes, but if I hadn't bodged your first attempt to catch Talfryn, none of this would have happened."

Draco Malfoy and the Mortifying Ordeal of Being in LoveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara