3

By the time you both exited the shrine it was around 8:30 AM, since you had set off for the shrine early that morning. This thankfully left plenty of time to cover lots of ground, and perhaps even reach the next shrine before nightfall. With that motivation spurring you on, you both chose to set off towards the next shrine immediately.

Link's gaze fell upon the pile of stones blocking the exit to the shrine area, and he excitedly jogged up to it, messing with the Sheikah Slate as he did. You had an idea of what he was planning, and you groaned, "Link, be careful with that! We can't have you blowing yourself up."

He rolled his eyes at you. "Yeah, yeah. I won't blow myself up, I'm not that dumb," he stated, but when you didn't reply he turned to look at you, seeing the unsure look you gave him. "Hey!" he pouted.

You burst out laughing, him soon joining you. "Okay, fine. Just make sure you stand a good distance from it."

"Yes, mom," he said jokingly before activating the rune, a glowing blue circular bomb appearing in his hands. You backed away, not trusting that he wouldn't blow the two of you up. He'd almost done so inside the shrine, being the naturally reckless boy he was.

Link set the bomb down against the bottom of the pile, jogging back next to you and activating the bomb, the sudden explosion causing you to jump. You covered your head with your hands, avoiding small pieces of debris that went flying when the bomb went off, and Link grinned at you proudly.

"Pretty awesome, right?" Link said ecstatically, causing you to smile. He was like an excited child sometimes, and it wasn't something you disliked. He was very positive about the little things, and it balanced out your pessimism perfectly.

"Yeah, that could prove to be very useful. But it's only awesome until you get yourself hurt with it," you said while crossing your arms, causing Link to grin playfully.

"Aww, do you cawe about me?" he said in a baby voice, making you laugh at his antics.

"Sure, Link," you said with a chuckle and a roll of your eyes.

Link scoffed, putting a hand on his chest dramatically. "What, you don't care?"

You hummed, deciding to play along. "No, I don't think I do," you stated bluntly, looking up into his bright blue eyes innocently.

He gasped, "I'm hurt. I'm not talking to you anymore." Mock pouting, he crossed his arms over his chest and marched off through the archway, causing you to roll your eyes and smile. He looked back at you excitedly, as if checking for your reaction, which you found even funnier than his previous actions. He was pleased with your laughter, but it was quick to die out when a familiar pulsing sound came from behind him.

Turning sharply, Link saw another half-buried Guardian sitting among the ruined walls and arches, just beginning to come to life and breaking off the moss and dust that had gathered on its metallic surface over the years. You froze up, heart palpitating as you saw it's previously dull, grey eye go alight with bright blue. On the other hand, the boy shirked all hesitation and reacted quickly, turning back and grabbing you by the arm, beginning to pull you past the Guardian in a sprint. The red laser focused on your back, as you were the closest target, and the sound of its laser beam charging up seemed all too loud. You felt a crawling up your spine, as if your back was anticipating the oncoming laser. You went as fast as your legs could carry you, dodging between the empty husks of ruined Guardians and the ivy-covered stone walls- but you weren't faster than light. Link knew that, too, and looked back over his shoulder as the laser beam neared full charge. He waited, counting in his head, somehow knowing how long it took for the shot to be fired but not daring to question it at a time like this. Just as the beam was released, he let go of your arm and shoved his shoulder into yours, knocking you aside as the beam struck right in between your bodies. Perfect timing.