01 | Leaving Home

┌────── ⋆

┌────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┐

Leaving Home

└────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┘

Avalon straightened out the green plaid blanket on her bed and fluffed the pillows one last time. She didn't normally make her bed, but today was finally the day she had been dreaming about for years. The very least she could do for her mother was make her bed before she left to follow in her brother's footsteps of becoming a Pokemon master.

Ash had left their home in Pallet Town a few years ago with his Pikachu. Avalon had begged her mother tirelessly to be able to go with him. But she hadn't been allowed to go. In her misery of not being allowed to tag along with Ash, Avalon had calculated exactly how old Ash was to the day when he had been allowed to go on his adventure. She then translated that into when that would be for herself and Avalon eagerly awaited that day. Today was that day.

The excitement was making her a bit anxious - but in a good way. To deal with the feelings within her, Avalon inhaled deeply and then let the breath go. She then went over her mental checklist. Room cleaned? Check. Dressed? Check. Bag packed? Check. Avalon chewed her bottom lip. It seemed like she was forgetting something.

"Ah-ha!" Avalon said as she headed toward her computer. River, her neighbor and friend, had said that he was going to email her a few reminders before they both started off on their Pokemon adventures today. She booted up the computer and waited a few moments before she opened up her email. True to his word, River had messaged her.

Hey, Avalon!

So here's what you need to know as a Trainer. You can talk to all kinds of people. Sometimes you will learn new things or random strangers will give you gifts. There are times where it may be necessary to run! Make sure you enjoy it all. Some say to keep a journal so you can save all your progress too! Boy, I can't wait to get started. Can you?

-River

Avalon grinned. She was ready. As she turned her computer off, her stuffed Eevee caught her eye. Her brother had given that plushie as a birthday present years ago, even before he started his adventure. She had snuggled her Eevee when she missed her brother or when she felt sad. She had been through a lot with that plushie. Avalon was about to grab it when a voice called from downstairs.

"I'm coming up! Up and at 'em!"

Avalon's eyes widened when she recognized the voice. After several seconds of loud thuds, River appeared at the top of the stairs. "Morning, Avalon!" he greeted, with a bright smile on his face.

"Morning." Avalon quickly stood up and rushed over to meet her friend, careful to stand in the eyeline of her Eevee plushie. She offered him an awkward smile. She wasn't why she was so embarrassed for him to see her plushie. He had seen it plenty of times before, but today of all days, it seemed immature to have it so prominently displayed given what they were about to do.