2. The Chosen Ones

Papa stood on the platform in the church, he was looking at everyone sitting in the pews. Everyone was waiting for him to announce who was going on the Satanic Panic Tour with him and the band ghouls. The band ghouls were sitting on the pews in the front row, like usual. Roy, Eve, and I were a little late, so we sat all the way in the back.

''Welcome, fellow satanists.'' Papa said. ''Today I will be announcing who will be in the crew for Ghost of the Satanic Panic Tour 2023. The Clergy has helped me with choosing the best people of the church to go on tour with us. But first, I will announce the city where the battles will take place.''

Everyone was quiet, even Roy, which doesn't happen very often. I wondered what city the organization of the tour had chosen. Paris? Sydney? Vienna? New York? Stockholm?

''The Satanic Panic Tour of 2023 will be held in... Amsterdam!'' Papa announced.

I had never been to Amsterdam, but from what I've seen online, it was beautiful. I wanted to go with them even more now. Eve, who was sitting next to me, had a broad smile on her face. I knew that she was a quater Dutch, but I wondered if she had ever been to The Netherlands.

''So now I will tell you all what you have been waiting for.'' Papa said. ''The person who will drive the tour bus to Amsterdam is... Betty Joseph!'' Eve's grandma was very happy to be chosen, and she deserved it. ''And of course, you can't split the family up, so Eve Galea is chosen to be the cleaner!'' Roy and I immediately congratulated Eve, tears of happiness were rolling down her face. She was going to Amsterdam with her awesome grandma and her boyfriend Rain. Everybody cheered for them, but they were quickly silent again when Papa continued talking.

''I am not very good with needles and stuff, so I wanted my favorite tailor, Roy Meyer to also come with us! You know, just in case there's a hole in my robe or something.'' Roy jumped into the air. ''YES!''

Papa kept telling us who will be going on tour with him and the ghouls. Roy was very happy to hear that Diablo was chosen to be a light-technician. As the list of names kept getting longer, I realized that there was a possibility of my name not being on it. What if they had chosen another cook? What if all of my friends got to go to Amsterdam, and I had to stay here?

''And that is everyone who will go on tour with us.'' Papa suddenly said, making my nightmare come true. ''The staff of the organization will cook for us, so no cooks will be needed.''

 Everyone I loved the most here was going to Amsterdam. I was happy for them, but at the same time I felt empty inside. Just the thought of being here without my friends made me sad. Eve noticed, and placed her hand on my back. ''Hey, I can ask Papa if he can choose another cleaner to go on tour with him instead of me. Then we can stay here together.'' She offered. I shook my head. ''No, you should go with Rain and your grandma. You will regret it if you don't.''

The rest of the day I felt kind of weird. Life was so unfair, why were they all chosen, and not me? I was just about to step into my room when I felt 2 hands grabbing my waist. ''Hey Nali!'' Dewdrop said happily. I sighed, I was not in the mood for it right now. For him. ''Go away, Dewdrop.'' ''What? Don't you have time to cuddle me? Preferably naked?'' Satan, he could be annoying sometimes. ''I said, go away!'' I yelled at him. Suddenly he realized that I wasn't chosen. ''Oh, I forgot, Papa didn't say your name. I'm so sorry Nali.'' He wrapped his arms around me, which made me feel warm inside. ''It's okay, I shouldn't have yelled at you, I'm sorry. Yes, we can cuddle, I need hugs. But preferably with clothes on.'' This made Dewdrop chuckle.

We layed down in my bed, a place that was so familiar to Dewdrop. But yet, it felt so much better this time than all the other times that he had been here. Deep down I knew that he didn't love me like that, but it still felt nice to know that he cared about my feelings. I buried my face into his chest. His heartbeat calmed me down, strangely enough. He held on to me tightly while he gave me a kiss on my forehead. ''Everything's going to be alright, I'll go talk to Papa to ask him if you can go with us.'' ''Don't give me false hope.'' I said.

All of a sudden, I heard someone knocking on the door. Curious to who it might be, I let go of Dewdrop and got up. When I opened the door, I saw Papa standing there. ''Hello Nali, and eh-'' he noticed that Dewdrop was laying in my bed, but decided to ignore it. ''Hey Papa.'' I said, awkwardly. Papa seemed to be even more awkward than me because of this situation. I looked behind me, at Dewdrop. He didn't seem to care at all.

''The chosen photographer just came to me to tell me that he would love to go on the tour with us but he can't, he had already booked a holiday on the dates of the tour. So I stressed out for a second, but then I remembered that you like taking pictures as well, right?'' Papa asked. I nodded. ''Yes, I do. Eve and Roy got me a camera for my birthday.'' Papa smiled. ''Excellent, I want to ask you if you want to be the photographer on tour?'' I couldn't believe what was happening right now. ''Yes! Thank you for giving me this opportunity.'' I said. Papa gave me a little pat on my shoulder. ''No, thank you for solving my problem! Eh,'' he looked one more time over my shoulder to see Dewdrop laying comfortable in my bed. ''Goodbye then.''

As soon as I closed the door, Dewdrop got up for another hug. But a happy one this time. ''Told you that everything's going to be alright. I'm so glad that you're going to Amsterdam with us! And that I won't have to miss you while I'm there.'' I smiled. ''Me too, Dew.''