Chapter 2 - The Borderlands

Somehow, I managed to get the bike to work properly. Or well, at least decently enough for it to stop squeaking. I still don't know how, but I'm thankful for my fixing skills that I didn't know I had.

An hour and two shopping bags later, I was heading straight home when I had this sudden want to pass through Shibuya on my way back, just to change scenery a bit. It could have been the fact that it was a beautiful and sunny day that made me want to change my usual course. That or I had no intention of going back home that early and start cooking all by myself. Either excuse works.

As I pedaled through the crowded streets of the biggest shopping center in Tokyo, I found myself stopping here and there to gawk at different clothing stores. A very girly thing of me to do, I know, but I rarely go out shopping for clothes. And when I do, it's with Kuina who makes me try on everything from whatever shop we're in until I get sick of them and end up going home without buying anything.

At some point I had had enough of staring at window shops and clothes too cute or too pricey for me to buy, so I changed course to go straight home, until I heard people yelling in the middle of the street.

As people passed the crossing in the very center of the square, a small group of tree guys were shouting and hollering how much they loved Shibuya and other. One of them was holding up on his shoulders, who I assumed was his friend, like a dad carrying his kid, meanwhile the third friend was filming their little scene.

''SHIBUYA! YOU'RE AMAZING! WOOHOOO!'' The dark-haired guy yelled as he spun in circles with his dyed blond friend.

I couldn't help but kackle at the sight of them having fun. They appeared to have no fear in the world. It was endearing.

But their little public stunt had to come to a stop suddenly when the light turned red, and cars started to honk at them. They childishly scrambled the scene, and I saw them dart between the people and into one of the buildings. Before I could make out anything else I noticed something in the sky.

That weird feeling crept up my spine again.

'No luck today, Anna.'

''Fireworks?'' I mumbled, watching the supposed lights in the sky.

I blinked again, unsure what on earth was I seeing. Why would anyone shoot fireworks in the middle of the day?

I shrugged and pedaled further down the street until I stopped at a coffee shop near the corner. I felt like buying myself a cup of cappuccino with lots of sugar. All this pedaling requires loads of energy.

Leaving my bike and the bags outside, I opened the door eager to get to the counter and order, but before I realized, the lights inside went off the second I crossed the threshold.

'That's odd.' I thought. But that wasn't nearly as odd as what I noticed next.

There was no one inside. Not even one customer. Yet I could have sworn there were people inside just a second ago.

Looking around the place I noticed that everything seemed abandoned and dusty. The closer I got to the counter the more I realized it was a complete mess of a place. Broken chairs, empty cups and old furniture seemed to be thrown all over the place. Almost like a hurricane had messed up everything. I called but no one answered. Frustrated and a bit unsure I left.

''That was the weirdest thing. I could have sworn- ''I mumbled ''...Wait. Where are my grocery bags!?'' I shouted as I picked my bike. Looking back and forth I couldn't spot any sign of my bags.

''No way in hell I got mugged in the safest country on the planet!'' I groaned loudly. ''How am I THIS UNLUCKY? That's so me!''

A few minutes and a couple of insults later, I calmed down from my fit and strolled down the road, determined to just buy takeout at this point.