Chapter 3 - Game

Led by curiosity and a bit of hope that maybe other people were involved in said game, I followed the sign. It was the first hint of life I've had all day.

Arrows directed me towards whatever 'game' it was referring to. I stopped in front of a building.

''A stadium?'' I said out loud.

I had arrived at the Yoyogi National Stadium, also known as the Yoyogi National Gymnasium at Yoyogi Park near Shibuya. I blinked at the massive construction. I had never been here despite seeing it from afar a lot. 

I wondered if there were in fact people inside. The place seemed deserted just like the rest of Shadow Tokyo.

Unsure, but still curious, I decided it was worth a shot finding out what was happening despite every fiber in my body was telling me it was a bad idea. My feet worked on their own before I could decide. I left my bike against the wall of the Stadium and walked up the stairs.

As I got further inside the Colosseum-like building, I noticed movement in the distance, in the main hallway. 

People.

I blinked in amazement. There were actual people there. And big groups of them too. Looked like about fifty people, give or take, and they were all waiting in front of two big wooden doors that I assumed were leading to the center of the Stadium.

I rushed there, happy to finally meet someone after a long eerie day. I didn't know what to say, as dozens of thoughts were swirling inside my head at the same time, so instead I settled for the obvious.

''I thought I was the only one around. I'm glad to see there's people.'' I said to no one in particular. ''What is happening? What is everyone waiting for?'' I asked but everyone looked at me in a judgmental kind of way, but uttered no word. Rude.

''Tsk. Newbie.'' Someone mumbled. 

It took me a second to notice they were all holding phones. A small table a couple of meters away was stocked with a few smartphones left. On it read 'One per person'. I took one and the screen lit up.

'FACE RECOGNITION IN PROGRESS. PLEASE WAIT A MOMENT.' It said. A second later the screen opened like a normal smartphone would but with a creepy wallpaper on. I noticed this phone had no signal either. Probably none of them had. I kissed my hopes to call dad goodbye, assuming he was in this weird place too.

I gazed around at the small crowd. Most of them seemed a bit used or at least familiar with this procedure as they boringly stood waiting for something. I would have liked to engage small talk with someone, but none seemed prone to a conversation. If anything, people stood between themselves in small group of friends or acquaintances, some even eyeing suspiciously the people around. It was odd.

I mimicked their postures and rested my back against the hallway wall by myself. My eyes drifted across the sea of people around me, until they landed on a vaguely familiar figure.

Next to me, not even five meters away, stood leaning against the same wall, a peculiar guy. He was waiting for this supposed 'game' to start like everyone else. The thing that differentiated him from everyone around us was his aura. He gave off the vibe of someone sure of himself, a bit of an arrogant idea too, but definitely someone confident. Also, 'do not bother me' vibes.

He was wearing a white shirt under a white and grey hoodie and grey sweatpants. His shoes seemed to be one of those types that had a hidden platform to make the wearer seem taller. Which I kind of figured why; he was a bit on the shorter side for a guy. Yet, he was about my height too. His hood was up but barely covering his face, so I could see his profile clearly; straight nose, a masculine outline of delicately plump lips and a shadow of freshly shaven facial hair.