FOUR

| FOUR |

Friday, October 2nd

Friday, October 2nd

Tom sat next to Ariadne in his car in silence. Her breakfast, which Tom had purchased, was mostly cold and unfinished at this point.

Tom gazed at the side of her face; she was unable to meet his stare making him let out a sigh while rolling his eyes.

"What's wrong with you?" The girl scoffed at his question, and she turned to face him for the first time.

"With me? You hurt me last night."

Ariadne spent the entire morning applying makeup to cover up the handprint on her face, but the pain was still very much there.

"You insulted my daughter. Don't do that again, and I won't hurt you," He stated while leaning in closer to her.

"I know what I said was bad, but you can't simply hit me," She whispered, staring out the window with her arms crossed.

Tom rolled his eyes, clearly displeased. He reached behind her seat, revealing a velvet box which he then handed to her, "For you." 

She regarded him with skepticism, but when he grinned at her, she caved in. She grabbed the box and cautiously cracked it up, revealing a diamond set; a pair of diamond earrings, a bracelet, and a necklace. Her jaw dropped in surprise.

"This is for me?" She inquired with a large smile on her face, and Tom nodded in response.

She stared in disbelief at the gems, knowing full well that she would never be able to afford anything as extravagant as those.

"You can wear it tomorrow at the dance," Tom said.

"Oh, I won't go. I don't have anything to wear," She murmured before closing the box uncomfortably. Ariadne had forgotten about the dance, and the money he had given her she had spent for household costs, something she knew he would not want to hear.

"Well, just buy something," She looked away as he stated in a casual manner.  

"I don't have any money," Ariadne mumbled, slipping the velvet jewelry box into her bag, "But it's okay; I didn't want to go to the dance anyways."

The man was going to question her, but the very thought of her arguing with him as she had done only minutes ago exhausted him. Instead, he just sighed, pulled out his wallet, and handed her a few hundred bucks. "Here, get yourself something to match."