thirty-one

Naerys took eight houses by the time the Greens decided it was time to march on Harrenhal. Despite the warnings they'd received from the Red Keep, Naerys was persistent.

Aemond knew she was persistent. He never expected her to cease. He just knew that he would not be able to stop her on Vhagar. Taking Harrenhal was the only other choice.

Accept her terms or die. She didn't kill smallfolk, didn't kill those who surrendered. But those who were stubborn, who refused to acknowledge Rhaenyra even after being given a chance, were shown no mercy from the heir.

"Our allies will lose faith if we do not act. Naerys Velaryon cannot be allowed to continue this conquest uncontested."

Aemond knew they were correct. Not acting would lose them the war. He would give the order to spare Naerys as his betrothed.

"Prepare our soldiers. We march for Harrenhal."

***

Naerys returned to Dragonstone before she took her ninth Green-declared house. She needed rest, to check in with her mother and the council.

Even she knew the Greens couldn't leave her uncontested for much longer. They'd prepared their Houses for her, told them to expect an attack. But it didn't matter.

Vermithor was learning how to go to war. To avoid scorpions, to take them out first as the main method of hurting him and his rider. By the time houses equipped adequate defences, it didn't matter.

Only another dragon could take on Naerys. So she left before they made that decision, to regroup and decide if she should continue her attacks.

Her arrival back at Dragonstone was relieving; it had been weeks of staying with allied houses and hunting for food to feed Vermithor. A few gracious smallfolk allowed their livestock to be sacrificed for promises of money and safety.

Naerys left Vermithor on the Dragonmont and returned to the castle. The knights bowed, opened the doors for her, and took her to see her mother.

She could feel the heaviness of the air even as she walked the halls. Something was happening and Naerys was afraid of what. Had there been a development with Joffrey or Aegon? They were her last brothers; she couldn't lose them too.

As soon as she arrived by the painted table, she could see that the development was good. Rhaenyra embraced her when she arrived and then had her heir take her place around the table.

"Your conquests of the Green houses have been fruitful. And your commitment to our agreement is admirable. More, however, our goal has been reached."

Rhaenyra looked at Naerys with a proud smile, her hands holding her up as she leaned onto the table. Her daughter returned her gaze, wondering if Rhaenyra meant what she thought she did.

"We've received word that the Prince Regent is marching for Harrenhal with 4,000 soldiers and his dragon. King's Landing is undefended."

That was why.

Naerys had a direct part in forcing the Greens to act. She'd done her duty and fought for her mother. They would actually be able to take steps forward and capture King's Landing from Aegon.