Chapter Thirteen

Deathbringer turned out to be much more helpful than he looked. 

"So you're seriously on our side?" Scarab said incredulously. They were creeping through the forest, keeping close to the ground. She was painfully aware of how her golden scales must stand out against the dark fauna, and she wished more than anything that she hadn't lost her cloak on the NightWing island.

"That is what I said, wasn't it?" Deathbringer's scales, on the other talon, blended him into his surroundings so well that Scarab sometimes had to blink a couple of times before she could identify exactly where he was.

"But why?" Scarab clarified the question. "You're a NightWing. Why would you help Queen Glory?" 

Deathbringer gave her a wry look. "I like to think we're on good terms, me and Queen Glory. This isn't the first time we've met."

Scarab narrowed her eyes. "Care to elaborate?"

Deathbringer started to explain how he and the Dragonets had met. How he was at first trying to kill them, then was quickly won over by "Dazzling RainWing charm". 

Scarab read between the lines. "So you like her?" she said bluntly.

Deathbringer looked like he was about to deny it but quickly shut his snout. His eyes widened and he dropped to the ground, pulling Scarab down too. Scarab didn't have time to form a complaint before she heard the voices as well.

Two dragon voices could be heard ahead of them. Scarab hugged the dirt and strained to listen. One was deep and gruff, the other was smoother. It was obvious that they were both NightWings.

"Any more over there?" The gruff one called. The second voice was much closer to Scarab and Deathbringer's hiding spot than either would have liked.

"I don't see any. But you know how those ruffled lizards are. Mastermind told me about their scales. They can hide in plain sight." Scarab heard leaves rustling towards them and she flexed her talons into the dirt, ready to take the NightWing out as soon as he was close enough.

"I'll check out farther down by the river." The gruff voice said, and his talonsteps faded as he walked away. The second dragon was in view now. He had a long neck and narrow shoulders compared to other NightWings. But the tension in his jaw and the way he walked told all too much of the battle training he had received. This could make things tricky, as well as the rather long spear he held rather expertly in one talon.

Scarab did all these mental readings from her hiding spot in the thick grass and leaves of the forest floor. The NightWing hadn't seen her or Deathbringer yet.

Poor thing, Her brain instinctively said in a taunting voice. It wasn't unusual for her mind to mock her victims, especially ones for whom she had no pity. But this was different.

I can't mock you. I won't. This is different. He didn't test the authority of the Talons of Power. He didn't steal from Vulture's treasury. He killed dozens of innocent RainWings. Arid and Qibli might be dead because of his tribe.

Scarab focused all her pain and fury onto this dragon. She wouldn't be sorry.

With deadly silence she attacked. She was on him in an instant. Dagger on his throat, then through it. The limp body slumped to the dirt and Scarab made no attempt at hiding it. Know I was here. Know that I could kill you all without a second thought.

Scarab looked back at Deathbringer, who was looking down at the broken NightWing with an unreadable expression. It only then occurred to her that Deathbringer had done nothing to prevent Scarab from killing the NightWing. As if he could. She thought bitterly.

Scarab turned silently and continued walking towards the RainWing Village.

__________________

The closer to the village they got, the less forest sounds they heard.

It was like the eerie calm that came before a dust storm. Scarab remembered the deathly stillness that fell over the desert before the wind picked up and you could barely breathe without choking on sharp particles.

Scarab shivered.

The village was getting closer. She recognized the shape of the trees and the small clearings around. Scarab craned her neck upwards to see if any of the wooden platforms were visible yet.

"We're getting close," she said to Deathbringer. This was the first thing either of them had said since meeting the patrol in the forest.

Deathbringer followed her gaze upwards. "I think you're right." He agreed. "I hope you have a plan for what we're doing when we get there."

"Of course I do." Scarab said calmly. "We're going to save the RainWings and Qibli and Arid. I imagine the Dragonets of Destiny could use a few heroics as well."

Deathbringer gave her an appraising look. "Is there any elaboration to that plan?"

Scarab blinked at him. "We'll get there. For now, that's the plan."

"Unless you can think of a better one."

"Ha." Scarab's voice was taut. Hadn't she and Qibli shared similar about-to-do-something-reckless-with-barely-any-forethought-for-our-personal-safety banter before? It wasn't the same.

She clenched her jaw. She would get her them back. No matter the cost.

After a few more minutes of walking, they came upon the RainWing Village. Voices could be heard very faintly from the largest platform, and they decided to try and eavesdrop after agreeing that it would be camel-brained to try and just fly up there.

Carefully and quietly, Scarab and Deathbringer climbed up a tree supporting the main platform and listened from beneath the boards.

Scarab could see the shadows of numerous dragons shifting on the platform.

"...very powerful empire." An imperial voice said, clearly addressing the crowd. "And with both kingdoms joined together, the queens will fall and give way to a new ruler."

Scarab felt her blood turn to ice and she nearly fell out of the tree.

No no no.

"The Dragonets of Destiny thought they could determine the fate of Phyrria," the voice continued, "but they are naive. The only thing in control of our future is ourselves, and we control it with blood. With the Dragonets in our control, the other kingdoms will surrender easily, and the world will cower at the name of the Talons of Power."

Deathbringer noticed Scarab's pale expression and gave her a look. He didn't understand. He didn't know.

Vulture was here. And Vulture was somehow allied with the NightWings. And he was planning to take over Phyrria.

"And the world will bow down, burnt and ashen, at our claws." Vulture said malevolently.

A/N: I'm sorry for the short (and late) chapter but things start picking up here I promise!

You didn't think I'd forgotten about Vulture and Saguaro, did you? ;)

Anyway, let me know what you think of the story so far! I've really enjoyed writing it and I've finally figured out how I want it to end as well.

And thank you for over 1k views! I don't remember if I've mentioned it before, but I don't care thank you anyway!