Chapter 1: Hunter

"What are you thinking?" Asked my sister as I stared at the horizon.

Jenna's burial had just taken place. My mind was a mess, I couldn't think straight all my thoughts had jumbled up into something. Something that I could not see where it started nor where it ended.

"I want ice cream," I said in a monotone voice as I continued to stare ahead of me. She giggled as I turned to her responding, "good thing there's an ice cream shop around here. My treat."

.......... Two weeks later

"No, you don't understand I need to speak to him," said a short brunette to Sarah, our receptionist. She was small but here presence was overtaking the entire front desk area.

I could tell that she wasn't from around here, her clothes looked too expensive so she definitely wasn't a customer. She must have known one of the guys as she was clearly asking to see someone but who? I approached the front desk, and both her and Sarah looked up at me.

I noticed the brunette reading my name tag. "You're Hunter?" She asks.

"Yeah," I said as I turned to Sarah who just shrugged. "How can I help you?"

"Look I know this may be hard to talk about but my name is Thomas, I was Henry's fiancé," she said as sadness overtook her face.

A girl named Thomas, that's a first. And who's Henry?

"Look I think you might have me mixed up with someone else, I don't know anyone named Henry." I stated firmly.

"Well I also didn't know Jenna but that doesn't mean that I act like she never existed. You may feel a certain way about Henry which is totally understandable but you cannot ignore the fact that he was here." She said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Jenna? How does she know Jenna? And who is Henry and what does he have to do with Jenna? My brain started to become foggy, memories of Jenna began swarming in and my breathing felt like it was being taken away. One of the reasons why I liked coming into work was because it distracted my mind, for a couple of hours I was able to forget about her.

"Hunter are you okay?" Asked Sarah as she saw my face turning pale.

"I'm sorry, I also don't like talking about it but I have so many questions and there are so many things that don't make sense, I was hoping you could help." Said Thomas as she cried.

"No, I'm the one with the questions. Who is Henry and how was he related to Jenna?" I asked.

"Oh, wait. You don't know?" She asked, her face looking more confused than what I pictured mine looked like. "Okay, um. What do you know about the accident?"

"How do you know about the accident and why are we talking about this now?"

"What do you know?"

"Okay, okay. I know that Jenna was taking an Uber home and on the way there well, the accident happened. I really don't want to get into details"

"Who told you she was taking an Uber?"

"Her parents did."

"Uh-huh," she said looking down at the floor, almost as if she didn't know what to do with herself.

"What?" I asked.

"Look I don't know the type of people that Jenna's parents are but one thing I can certainly say is that they lied to you. Jenna didn't take an Uber home the night of the accident. I know this because the driver was Henry, my fiancé. They were together that night."

The floor felt like it was moving beneath me, I lost my balance and found myself on the floor. I heard both Sarah and Thomas screaming in the background but everything was a blur.