Prologue: Thomas

She was crying. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she screamed and sobbed at the same time.

The moment I received a call from Robert I knew something was wrong. I have known my future in laws for most of my life, they were like second parents to me. The hesitation in his voice when he called told me something was wrong.

I stood in their marble floor living room, clinging to my purse as I watched the scene unfold before my eyes. Once they noticed I had arrived, Florence threw her arms around me and cried even louder. Between her sobs she would cry out Henry's name.

I didn't know exactly what happened but I knew in that moment that something terrible had happened to Henry, my Henry. A million thoughts ran through my head, and as I thought of the worst I prayed that my fiancé was still alive.
I broke from my embrace with Florence and smeared her tears away with my thumb. In a broken voice I asked "Wha-, what happened to- to Henry?" I looked at both of them, someone had to answer.

Florence bent her head down and it was Robert who spoke. "He was in a car accident," and after a long pause he said, "he didn't make it."

That was all he said, it seemed that talking was also difficult for him. But he then added what had happened that morning, how the police had come over to inform them of the accident. They called me over as soon as they heard the news.

My brain was still processing everything.