Chapter 5

Riley squeezed my hand as I inspected the now clean wounds, I lessened my touch on her side, certain there wasn't anything in it. It appeared as though a projectile had entered the front and exited at an angle, away from any organs, but leaving a tearing gash.

I reached under Riley's chair and pulled it closer to mine, turning it so that I could inspect the shoulder wound. With a clean cloth I blotted away some bleeding that trickled down her shoulder blade and arm. Inspecting this would there was something dark and shiny deep in the tissue.

"When were you shot?" I asked reaching over to the table and picking up some clunky looking tweezers.

Riley tensed out of the corner of my eye. "I don't know"

"What do you remember" I asked instead, focusing on the shoulder, pushing on one area, and noticing that it pushed the foreign object upwards, Riley squeezed my hand tight and made a sound like a strained whine.

"I need to remove it, it'll cause infection" I said. Riley turned her head away.

"I remember running through the woods" Riley said, "I was being chased."

Riley winced and gritted her teeth as I pinched the wound together to attempt to squish out the object. Riley flinched again as I reached with the tweezers to remove the bullet. "Please remain still" I muttered holding her shoulder blade steady and reaching again. With nearly trembling hands I extracted what appeared to be a shiny black bullet.

I dropped it on a piece of gauze on the table with the tweezers and looked to Riley for input. She looked unphased and her eyes had glossed over slightly. Shock maybe.