Chapter 8

Bucky paused. He needed to think. He leaned against a nearby dumpster and put his hands in his hands. He was supposed to keep you safe, and now you were probably scared out of your mind. Sighing again, he clenches his fists.

"B-Bucky? Is that you?" You come out from hiding behind the dumpster he was hiding behind.

He rushes toward you and engulfs you in a bone crushing hug. "Thank goodness you're okay." He breathes before stepping back and scanning you for injuries. "You are okay, right?"

You nod. "I'm fine. What happened back there?"

His jaw clenched. "The mole struck again. They knew you were leaving the hospital."

He waited while you processed everything.

"Are those officers okay?'

His mouth curved into a half smile. Even in the midst of your own problems, you were worrying about other people. There was a lot to like about you.

"I think so, but I didn't stick around to find out. Fortunately, they're outside a hospital, so they'll get care right away."

"What are we going to do now?" Your voice quavered, but he warmed to know you were trusting him to help you. You'd said we.

"I don't know who I can trust now. I think it's just you and me." It was stupid, but he felt a trickle of happiness that he was going to be with you for a while yet.

He made himself fight that feeling. If he didn't want any more close calls, any more problems, he would have to be objective. He was going to have to be better than he ever had before, because now he was working solo. He couldn't do that if he was distracted.

"Okay." You answered.

"It's cold, and it's going to get colder. We can't leave you hiding back there, and it may take me some time to find a safe place to hole up."

"So, what are you suggesting?" Your voice was getting stronger. Did you have that much faith in him?

"I think there's an advantage right now in being in a crowd where we're less likely to stand out."

"Really?"

He could hear the doubt in your voice.

"It's a risk, but everything now is. And we can't stay out here."

"What about Thomas?"

"They were taking him out the back while you were leaving the front door. You provided good cover for him."

"What's the plan then?"

Bucky rubbed his jaw and let out a breath. "I want to do something they won't expect. Something that isn't in the playbook they'll be using. We're only a block away from the Eaton Centre."

The Eaton Centre was a large indoor mall in the heart of downtown Toronto. It stretched for blocks, and it was connected to an underground walkway and had subway stops attached to it. There were a lot of places for you to get lost. Lots of escape routes.

He hoped the people searching for you wouldn't have the same idea. But right now, there was no guaranteed safe spot.

"How do we get there?" You asked.

You guys would have to go on foot. You were too close for a bus and a taxi would be pointless for such a short distance. But you would still be exposed. People would undoubtedly be looking for you. Unless...