Prologue - A New Trend

"Hmm, who's that?"

"That's Nona, the loner of the school. They tend to stick to themselves but will talk to others."

"Nona?"

"Hhm, they always focus on their work or read away. Never bother anyone unless they have to. However, they do make some incredible brownies or bring some fantastic food to school on certain days if the teachers allow it."

"And Nona is their name?"

"Actually, none of the teachers know their name. Nona was just decided after a big debate and stuck with them."

"Cool..."

"That may be true but nobody really knows who they are."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cold.

What a nice feeling. To be wrapped in the eternal bliss that was cold.

I loved the cold, feeling it deepen into my body, my very soul. I could never hate it. I loved it.

["My, my, this is a first."]

A voice. No words can describe it nor can I determine the gender as a whole.

["You are very far from the normal afterlife."]

Afterlife? Hmm, so the afterlife is cold? I thought I would've gone to hell. I remember when I was eight I was adamant I was going to hell. Though, I can't honestly remember why I said that.

["Hell? Oh dear, you have quite a nice soul. Heaven would be quite glad to have you. Though, it's odd. Not many can be sent to the abyss."]

Abyss? Like the Void, I hear about it all the time from various stories and theories.

["Yes. It's even more surprising that you enjoy the cold and not going mad from being here."

Mad? Hmm, I actually feel safe. Knowing I'm not all alone.

["...What an odd one you are."]

Thank you!

["You know I quite like you. Hope you enjoy this chance, my child."]

Hu-

================================================================================================================================================================

"Grandpa!!! Grandpa!!!! Tell us about the war that almost happened between us and the monsters!!!"

"Ah, that old story? I don't think children of your age will like this story..."

"No Grandpa!!! We want to hear it!!!"

"Yeah, Mr. Teller./Please Mr. Teller./I want to hear it!!!"

"Ho ho, youngsters these days. Well, it all began many years back when rumors started to spread. One of the various humans was cautious of the Monsters. The reason? Well, Monsters could easily see and pull out the souls of others. This human was afraid that one day, the Monsters could take their own soul along with their life!"

"But Monsters are nice./Yeah, I have a Monster for a sibling, and they're awesome!/I like it when they do magic./That human wasn't very nice in thinking that."

"Well, monsters and humans had their own settlements. Not many could talk to each other due to being apart. That human then started to spread it around, afraid for the other humans. But it grew distorted to which almost every human thought their soul would be taken by the Monsters!"

"No! Poor Monsters!/Geez, the humans were really stupid back in those days./That's mean to think that."

"Until the child of two skeleton monsters showed up during a meeting between the current Kings of Humans and Monsters. While the humans looked at the child with disgust or fear, the child looked and them for a single moment. Then, they voiced this single line, 'Are all of you, stupid bigots?'"

"Pfft!!!!/Hahahahaha!!!!"

"That made all of the humans look at the child in disbelief or outrage while the King of Monsters was trying not to laugh. The child then went on to a rant about how they were being idiotic for believing a rumor instead of seeking knowledge from them. Monsters WON'T take the soul of another unless they have permission. All Monsters see the SOUL as sacred. They don't dare do anything to SOUL's due to their beliefs. The child then left while muttering how humans can be so blind."

"What happened next, Grandpa?"

"Everyone was silent for a moment until they all finally talked about the rumor. And, it turned out the child was right. Monsters will never take the SOUL's of others unless given permission and thus a law was passed that explained everything to everyone. Many humans felt dumb from that. And the human that spread that rumor also apologized to the Monsters for it."

"What happened to the kid?"

"Well, the child was seen as a good luck charm to the monsters. No matter what conflict between humans or Monsters, that child always stopped it with just words alone. In fact, that child is known as Deva Starr."

"No way!?!?!?! The famous writer and healer!?!?!"

"Yes, that Deva."