Prologue

An ominous fog rolled off the shore of the chilly bay, enveloping the usually warm beach in a blanket of cold pale heather gray. Waves lapped against the gritty sand shores. They took from the land, and gave back in return. Over and over it repeated. Perhaps sand one time, shells another, driftwood, and more. The salt from the water rose into the fog, permeating the air with the smell of the ocean. The smell of seaweed and salty waters were the most prominent, but the beach also held the scent of iron and rot.

Gulls shrieked, their calls sounding hollow and soulless in the wind. They bravely flew into the fog, but quickly lost themselves in it as it encompassed their being and snuffed out their perception of their location.

A conspicuous wave crested higher than the others. It took shells and sticks, but in return, left a hefty package on the beach. Trickles of crimson seemed to seep from the present the waves had brought.

The maroon liquid swirled in the waves, staining them a dark pink shade. The ocean momentarily receded to reveal a body covered in dots of ruby red blood. It was a horrendous sight to those who would behold it. Matted, black hair filled with sand. It looked like it had not been disturbed in days. A wet, sallow face was revealed too. Lifeless eyes stared off into the distance, cloudy and void of life. A mouth that was currently half agape, with sea water filling the throat and seaweed and sand sitting at the bottom of the mouth.

Worst of all though, was the gaping hole in the abdomen of the women. Dried blood stained the rags of clothes that surrounded the wound and crusted the face. The dried blood seemed to be a splotch on all of the clothing, leaving nothing of the original colors except on the very edges of the garments. Flesh and bone were stuck out of the body in a grisly manner with the white end of most bones sticking out of the wound. They were fractured and broken too.

Some lay littered out of their regular spots and instead around the corpse, also brought in by the ocean. Others must have been scattered elsewhere in the waves. Perhaps they lay at the bottom of the ocean, perhaps halfway around the world.

Then, the sun began to rise over the horizon. The warm sunshine lit up the ocean in an array of shimmering colors, and the waves reflected the brightening sky in all shades of blue. The skies began to clear, and the winds seemed to calm. The sun showed the world its warmth, shining as it rose higher in the sky. The moon, hidden behind clouds, began to lower, sinking below the sun, and then under the horizon. Clouds began to fade when faced with the ever-present warmth of the sun. No longer was it night. The village was bright and warm with sunlight, the birds chirped in a cheerful way, and the waves seemed to timidly wash up on the beach. It was a normal day, at least for most. But for others, maybe not so much. After all, things often happen when they are least expected.

. . . . . . . . .

A scream echoed across the blue waves. The water rippled from a faint ocean wind and the terrified shriek sounded from a woman on the beach.

Her husband, not far behind her, saw her distress and came running up to her. Almost right when he arrived, she fainted, leaving her husband to have a full view of the scene that caused his wife such distress.

On the beach, there lay a still corpse. Flies swarmed it, buzzing angrily as the couple had disturbed them. Blood lay in rough patches around the dead body, staining the sand a deep maroon tone. The body was barely recognizable to the old man as he squinted at it. He gasped when he realized the truth. It was one of the people from his village.

Sorry for the short prologue. Just an intro. Please leave a comment. I am open to any and all feedback and criticism. Thank you for your support, and see you next time!