A short story i wrote with my friends for health class

Hey! My friends AlfredDaButtler , milo_moment and I wrote a short story for health and the first account tagged has convinced me to post it! This was purposefully created with shits and giggles in mind so it's a lot of satire

TW: Discusses binge drinking, death, and supposed murder

Also I'm required to note by AlfredDaButtler that she put as many Taylor Swift's "Midnight" song titles in heere as possible 

The midnight rain pelted against Mae's bedroom window. The house was still, everyone was asleep, except for Mae. Bunny, her tabby cat, jumped on her face because during bad storms like these, Bunny always sought comfort in Mae's room.

Mae turned on her bejewled lamp and light flooded her room. She lifted her maroon comforter and invited Bunny to snuggle beside her underneath it. Bunny hopped up and curled beside Mae. She could feel the animal's soft purring up against her ribs. All was quiet, but then, her lamp started to flicker. Bunny ran out of the room.

Mae rose to inspect her lamp, the temperature rising as she got closer. She reached out a hand to touch the lampshade, but as soon as she got only a few inches away, the bulb blew out. Mae's head spun behind her as the dark illuminated the room, childhood thoughts of boogie monsters attacking in the dark rushing back to mind. Mae tried to push them away, but she froze as she saw what stood behind her. 

Suddenly, there was a MAN. In her room. But it wasn't a man, it was a ghost! She backed away, whoever, or whatever this creature was, she had a feeling that she shouldn't get too close. The ghost floated closer, a depiction of an older man in a nightgown, holding a beer bottle.

"Lemme tell ya a story, kiddo," the ghost spoke in a low, raspy voice.

"Who are you?" Her voice squeaked as she started to shake.

"None of ya beeswax. Lemme tell ya a story, my story. Listen, I wasn't what ya consider a 'good guy,' but I wasn't a bad person. I paid my taxes, I raised my kids- Neil Patrick Harrison and Catherine Zeta Jone- and I never cheated on my wife. Well, I guess I did but that's besides the point. I was, I guess, what ya call an anti hero. But then I DIED."

"Okay...?"

"It happened on April 16th, the day that started my downward spiral. I was driving home from work when I got a call from my friend- who I guess was more than a friend. I'm not saying that he wasn't a friend, he was just... different- Anyways, he calls me real upset. He starts crying on the phone and mumbling something about Gerty, my wife and he kept apologizing. I knew that whatever happened wasn't good."

He took a deep breath, wiping his eyes gently. Mae stared at the ghost of this man from where she stood.

"I raced home and I saw my wife dead on the floor and Mel sobbing, holding a knife... I couldn't believe it, my wife was dead and my alledged friend was the murderer. I didn't know what to do, Mel started coming towards me with tears running down his face and all I could think to do was punch him."
Author paused once again, taking a swig out of his beer bottle, "I knocked him out cold."

"...Then, I called 9-1-1, the paramedics tried their best but there wasn't anything they could do. She was dead," he made a noise, something Mae thought was a sniffle of some sorts but she couldn't quite tell. He took a moment to fan his eyes lightly to prevent tears.

"I'm sorry for your loss," despite feeling slightly more comfortable with the man-ghost thing, Mae's voice trembled when she spoke up.

"That 's just one part of the story. Four days after Gerty's death was her funeral. Our marriage wasn't the best, we weren't in a constant lavender haze or anything but I loved her, never the less.  The one person who I wished was there by my side during the tortuous funeral was rotting in a cell. So, I turned to the only friend I could think of. This sweet nothing here," in reference, Authur held up his bottle to show Mae.

"It didn't bring Gerty back to life, but it helped numb some of the pain...But it kind of spiraled. I started drinking practically everyday, four or five beers a day, kid. I never told anyone about my drinking, I was depressed but I still had my pride at least...But one day, it got kinda out of hand. I was moping around my house when I got a call. I picked up the phone, it wasn't a number I knew but I didn't care much, the voice on the other line was familiar..."

The ghost's expression turned slightly angry as he took a second to gather his thoughts.

"And it was Mel, he didn't even say hello or nothin' but instead was trying to tell me that Gerty, my Gerty, had ATTACKED him, and what he did was 'self defense.' I was infuriated, the man who murdered my wife was trying to make my wife out to be the villian. I went into a blinded rage, I don't remember exactly what I told him but I knew it wasn't pleasant."

"Well...Did he do it?" Mae asked.

"Murder her in cold blood? Nope, but I didn't know until after I died. Back then, I remember thinking that he was a boldfaced liar who wanted to destroy my life and everyone I loved. So..." he trailed off.

"...So?"

"So, I drove around to blow off some steam. I knew it wasn't the smartest idea because I had already had a couple beers beforehand- but I didn't realize how drunk I was, until it was too late. I couldn't see the little lines on the road, and at some point I wasn't on the right side of the road, because when you're drunk a road is very similar to a labyrinth. I couldn't think of what to do so I swerved off the road and I ran into a tree.

"That was how my life ended, I was driving drunk and I ran into a tree... And the worst part was the only reason I was in that position in the first place was because I was angry at someone I shouldn't have been, maybe it was karma," he gave a bitter chuckle.

"I'm sure he forgives you, if he was truly your friend, he would forgive you," Mae hoped that would help calm him down. She didn't know if he could actually harm her if things got out of hand but she definitely wasn't going to find out.

"I wouldn't know, would I?"

He looks down at the bottle in his ghostly hand, his face giving a sour look, "I may have ruined my own life, but ya know what was the push? This. Now, this, is what finally put the last nail in the coffin," he threw the bottle on the ground, Mae shrieked.

"Don't be like me, trust me you'll regret it," the ghost said, giving a salute.

Mae tried to respond but no words left her mouth in that moment, all she could do was stare, shell-shocked.

"You're on your own, kid. Adios, as the French say!"

A bright light then filled the entire room.

When Mae opened her eyes, he was gone along with the glass shards. She walked over to where he stood and she felt the air grow cold as she got close. She shivered, though she wasn't sure if it was the temperature or the eeriness of it all.

Whatever had just occurred, whether it was an illusion or entirely real, Mae was sure of one fact and one fact alone. She would never let herself be like him, ever.

I hope you enjoyed whatever the hell this was! The best part was that our group read this in front of our class for extra credit. Love you all!! <3