Pt.2

The sun was just peeking up over the horizon, as Xena returned. Laying down, she slipped something under her bed roll. Gabrielle, who was still awake, turned towards her.

GABRIELLE
You were gone awhile.

XENA
Guess I lost track of time.

Gabrielle snuggled up to her, as Xena put her arm around Gabrielle. They layed there for awhile, just enjoying the calm and stillness of the morning. Gabrielle was still trying to come up with something to give Xena. But still nothing came to mind.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I'm running out of time to get Xena's gift. I need to figure out something.

After some time they got up and went into town. The little village was full of happy bustling people. As they were going about preparing for the days celebrations. Xena and Gabrielle made their way through the village. Gabrielle looked around for an idea. Unfortunately due to the holiday the shops were closed. So buying Xena's gift wasn't possible. They went to grab something to eat. As they sat and ate, Gabrielle looked around, trying to get any ideas.  Xena noticed Gabrielle seemed distracted.

XENA
Everything okay Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE
Huh? Oh yeah. Why?

XENA
You look like you're looking for something.

GABRIELLE
(Quietly talking to herself) I am.

XENA
What?

GABRIELLE
Oh, I said I'm fine. I was just enjoying the festive atmosphere.

Gabrielle quickly changed the subject.

GABRIELLE
So what are we doing today anyway?

Xena smiled.

XENA
Whatever you want to do.

Gabrielle thought for a moment. Then she got an idea.

GABRIELLE
Well I guess we could just walk around and take in the sights for a while.

XENA
If that's what you want to do.

GABRIELLE
Yeah I think that sounds like fun.

XENA
Sure. We can do that.

They got up and handed out.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) Good, this will give me the chance to hopefully find something for Xena.

They walked around, taking in the scenery. Gabrielle kept an eye out for something she could give to Xena. Then out of the corner of her eye, she saw something in a shop. They continued walking for a bit.

GABRIELLE
I'll be right back.

XENA
Where are you going?

GABRIELLE
(lying) I forgot something at the tavern.

XENA
Want me to come with you?

GABRIELLE
No!

Xena gave Gabrielle a questioning look.

GABRIELLE
Uh I mean you don't need to bother coming with me just for me to get something I forgot. It's no big deal.

Gabrielle began to walk away.

GABRIELLE
Why don't you keep looking around and I'll catch up with you.

XENA
Ok I guess.

Gabrielle left. She made sure Xena didn't see where she went. Gabrielle quickly hustled back to the shop. The shopkeeper was just coming out of the shop as Gabrielle got there.

GABRIELLE
Excuse me could I get something.

SHOP KEEPER
I'm sorry but I'm closed today.

GABRIELLE
Please I won't be long.

SHOP KEEPER
I was only here to get something. I have to be somewhere and don't have time for someone to look through all my wares.

GABRIELLE
Oh but I know what I want, it will only take a minute

SHOP KEEPER
I have to go, I'm sorry.

Gabrielle felt a bit defeated.

GABRIELLE
Ok thanks anyway. Happy Solstice.

Gabrielle turned and began to walk away. The shop keeper heard the disappointment in Gabrielle's voice. He sighed.

SHOP KEEPER
Make it quick.

Gabrielle turned back around.

GABRIELLE
Really? Thank you so much.

SHOP KEEPER
Yes, yes. Now hurry up.

He opened the door allowing Gabrielle in. Once inside Gabrielle went over to the shelf by the window. Sitting there in a case was a dagger. It was the most exquisite, intricate daggar that Gabrielle had never seen. She had never seen one like it before.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) It's perfect.

She turned to the shop keeper.

GABRIELLE
Could I get that dagger.

The shop keeper walked over to the case and got the dagger. He put it In a small wooden box and brought it over to Gabrielle.

SHOP KEEPER
Is that all?

GABRIELLE
Yes, thank you.

She paid him and left. The shopkeeper followed her out and went on his way. Gabrielle went and found Xena.

XENA
There you are Gabrielle. I was about to come find you. What took so long? Did you get what you needed?

GABRIELLE
Yea, I got it.

XENA
What did you forget anyway?

GABRIELLE
(lie) Oh nothing important. Let's get going.

XENA
Okay.

Xena and Gabrielle made their way to where the village was holding the solstice celebration. They celebrated as they ate, drank and and enjoyed the festivities. Soon night began to fall. And everyone was getting ready to exchange gifts. Gabrielle snuck off and retrieved Xena's gift. As she was walking back Gabrielle opened the box, just to make sure the dagger was still there. But as she looked at it, Gabrielle noticed something.

GABRIELLE
Oh no, this dagger is a fake.

TO BE CONTINUED...