𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚.

• • •

• • •

(Saturday, September 15th)

My burning eyes remained unmoving from the confused young girl, who only kept backing away from me, crushing and twisting my heart further.

I approached her and crouched down in front of her. My hands itched to reach out to comfort her, to somehow remind her with something that I used to do, my mind remembering when I would tuck her hair behind her ears when she was sad. My mind and heart remembering when I would put my younger sister on my shoulders, and carry her back to our apartment after a long day at the park when she would complain about walking. But all these memories in my mind and heart are only that, memories, memories that I shared with her, memories that I only desperately wanted her to remember. I wanted her to remember me.

And when my hand reached out, and she flinched away, my heart constricted and removed all of the breath from my lungs, suffocating me. But I willed myself to speak to her, my voice cracking noticeably, "Aubrey..."

I then desperately prepared to soften my voice, hoping that she would remember when I would speak to her with only softness, and never would I speak to her in a way that my voice would hurt her. And I now spoke again, my voice softening, only hoping that her ears would remember the comfort that I used to provide, "I'm your older sister."

The young girl, my sister, shook her head, and started breathing more erratically. "I don't have a sister," She voiced, her voice quiet and shaky.

As soon as she said these words my lips only quivered more, and then a weight fell on them, making words grow more heavy on my tongue. Words that I couldn't bring myself to say while my ears only heard her breathing become more unsteady than before as she looked at me, and the water of tears only completely filled my eyes because I didn't desire to overwhelm her, nor make her uncomfortable.

The salty tears in my eyes surfaced faster than they ever have in my life, and in the way that my younger sister continued to look at me with no love in her eyes, like we weren't sisters. As if we weren't raised by the same mother. As if we never grew up together under the same roof, and like we never slept in the same bedroom every night, her answer cut through my beating heart entirely. The answer in her eyes cut through every single vessel in my heart, influencing me to numb every single emotion of suffering that I started to feel, and subconsciously my mind squeezed my eyes shut tight to not see the look in her eyes while I lifted my body from the floor, my legs carrying me out of her room to protect her and myself.

As I walked further away from my younger sister who didn't remember me, both of my hands grew heavier while they trembled by my sides, and I willed them to stop shaking as I forced myself to not feel anything, as I tried to find mercy in my life that somehow only causes me more pain and emotional heartache that I can never heal from.