Eliza and Rose 1877

The Greens. A well off, yet forgettable family. Their oldest son Edgar strived to make his family proud. He wanted no, needed to make a dent in the world and be remembered. He refused to settle down before making his mark on the world. Then, he met Margaret.

Margaret lived a quiet life in town with her closest friends. She had no family and was forced to scrape together pennies to get by. The townspeople resented her, her dark skin and purple eyes were anomalies to them. Something they couldn't understand, something they feared.

Most stayed away from Margaret and her friends. The ones that didn't, were terrifying. Threatening to use violence as a way to suppress their fear. Broken windows and worrying notes would often appear, she tried her best to ignore it. But deep down Margaret was furious. Irritated at the violence, the disrespect, the way everyone turned a blind eye when it came to her. No one in that lousy town cared. Then, she met Edgar.

Edgar admired Margaret. For him, it was love at first sight. He adored her curly black hair, swooned every time he looked into her deep purple eyes. She noticed his attention, mistaking it at first for disdain. Believing him to be just like the others. She stopped herself from thinking of his shining violet eyes. Eyes that met hers so often, she began anxiously awaiting their glance.

They would exchange passing comments every now and again, until Edgar worked up the courage to ask Margaret on a date. She agreed and ever since then, they never spent a second apart.

Inseparable as ever they went on picnics and walks, they could talk for hours. Never once growing tired of each other.

Sadly, they wouldn't get a happy ending as soon as they'd hoped.

Edgar had pale porcelain skin, he spent his time indoors. He had people to do things for him, he never wanted for anything. Everything he could think of had been given to him. But Margaret? She had deep chocolate skin, damaged from all the manual labor she had to endure. Her poor upbringing forced her to yearn for things she knew she could never afford. And in 1856, their relationship was disastrous.

They wasted no time getting married, Margaret was 18 and Edgar was 19. The town despised them. Throwing rocks or rotten food whenever they made appearances together. Even spitting on them once. It was a miracle that the Green's accepted Margret. That they weren't afraid of her, but a tsunami wouldn't fear a wave now would it.

Margaret, and Edgar and all of the Greens, had magic flowing through their veins, power normal people could only ever dream of. The Greens knew what it was like to be ostracized over something they couldn't control. They accepted Margaret with open arms because to them she was a Green first and anything else second.

Soon after they were married Margaret gave birth to her eldest child. A little girl named Eliza. The year was 1859, people were no more forgiving than they were when Edgar and Margaret started dating. Eliza's birth made everything worse for the family. Violence escalated, multiple attempts were made to burn down the family's home. Margaret and Edgar couldn't be seen together in public, it was far too dangerous. And Eliza? She was never allowed off the property. Every step she took was shadowed by someone. Determined to keep her safe, she was never allowed into town, no children to play with, no contact outside of the family.

When Eliza was 7 the family welcomed a new addition. Another daughter called Rosalie. Word got out that Edgar and Margaret had another child. This was the final straw for the town.

For three insufferable years, Edgar ventured into a forest on the outskirts of town to build his family a sanctuary. A home they could live in without fear, a place where they could be safe, happy even. All while Margaret, Eliza and Rosalie had to stay inside the safety of Green's house. Townsfolk vandalized the home constantly, Margaret warned Eliza and Rose about getting too close to the windows, the townspeople would throw bricks through them at the slightest glimpse of a shadow.