S1-16✩ Stormy Clouds Don't Choose Who They Rained On

After their small trip to the Student Council, the members of the Duel Club walked together in rows back to their clubroom. While most of them chatted with each other happily like nothing had happened, Yusaku and Aoi tailed in the last row, both were silent and busy with their own thoughts.

The girl sneaked a glance at Yusaku, curious about his earlier gesture towards Tsubaki and wondered if those two knew each other. To be honest, Aoi found it odd for someone quiet and aloof like Yusaku to be acquainted with Tsubaki, since Tsubaki was quite popular in their school because of her bubbly and amicable personality. As far as she knew, that type of person, who always had people surrounding them wherever they went, was usually hard to get close to, especially by introverts... except if the girl was the one who actively tried to maintain a relationship. So perhaps Tsubaki was acting like that towards him out of her kindness, just like she was towards Aoi? Or did they already know each other long before that?

'...wait, why am I like this? None of that is my business, right?' Aoi closed her eyes, inwardly telling herself to stop, but then much to her surprise, Yusaku's voice suddenly called her out. "Hey, Zaizen."

"Ah, yeah? Wh-What's up?"

"Is it possible that..." He began, looking hesitant at first. Aoi curiously stared as the boy awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. His gaze was focused on the tip of his shoes instead of looking at her eyes, as if he was hiding something. "That... a girl's body could shrink so much in just three days?"

Aoi blinked while Yusaku just continued to eye the floor. Who would have thought that he himself would be the one to spill the beans? She thought, because it was obvious he was referring to Tsubaki. Still, she made sure to redact her name before answering. "That's possible. She could be under some heavy stress."

Yusaku's head perked, turning to her almost immediately. Aoi could clearly see the worry projected in his eyes. "So it's stress after all?"

"Yeah... and in my opinion, it would worsen if she doesn't get help," Aoi nodded. "It doesn't have to be from a professional. Someone close to her should be enough... like a friend."

"A friend... right, she has a lot of friends... there's also that one girl who always talks to her..."

"No, not them. I'm talking about you," Aoi pointed out, eyebrows curled, "I can see that you're genuinely worried about her. So won't it make sense for you to do that?"

"Me?! No way, she must be hating me. Because I... caused that stress," Yusaku's shoulder slumped dejectedly. "So how can I be the one to comfort her?"

"Then all the more reason to talk to her!" Aoi bluntly replied, balling her fist. "I don't know what happened between you two, but you need to communicate. Clear any doubts and worries you're having. Don't let your assumptions strain that bond that you two already share."

'Yep, that's what I learned from Nii-sama and Playmaker.' Aoi made a mental note to herself while thinking about her brother, Akira, and that fateful duel he had against Playmaker.

Yusaku's eyes widened upon hearing her advice. The girl was giving him a warm smile now. "Don't worry, I'm sure it was just a small misunderstanding. I heard Mirai-chan's father just recently passed away. The loss of a family member must have shocked her, so much that she doesn't act like herself."

"You... knew?"

"Everyone in my class did, but nobody dared to ask, even the girl who sat next to her. So if you could pull her back to her feet, then please do, Fujiki-kun," she said with glistening eyes. "I said mean things to her... but when I apologized, she just laughed it off and hugged me. She's usually that warm and welcoming to others, but now, she won't even reply to my smile. Sure, time will heal, but right now she needs someone by her side."