Part Five- Tension

Hi again everybody, hope you all enjoy <3

And literally what the heck thank you all so much for over three thousands reads???

Violet

|////////////////|

|////////////////|

~"Vi, I've got your medicine!"

My head shot up and I glanced towards the door, my eyes catching on Vander's broad frame as he pushed it open and held up a glass vial triumphantly. Powder's head peeked out from behind him, and we grinned at each other. At least, I tried to. The fever and muscle spasms had started last night, and it was genuinely terrifying to occasionally lose control of my jaw.

Vander stopped next to the bunk bed, offering the medicine to me. I eyed the disgusting color of it through the dirty glass, but didn't object when he popped the cork off and pressed it to my dry lips. It tasted like the underside of Mylo's bed, and I forced myself to gag it down, plugging my nose.

Vander thumped my back when I gagged on it, and I grimaced as the tonic went down my throat. "Blech," I rasped, rolling over to lay facing the ceiling, ignoring the pain in my thigh. "Disgusting."

Powder scrambled up onto my bed and sat close to my head with her legs tucked into her chest. I cracked my eyes open to look at her worried little face and offered her a weak smile, the motion turning into a pained frown as my jaw spasmed. I grunted when my teeth clicked together. My head still felt hot.

After a moment of murmuring to himself, Vander's hand smoothed back a few baby hairs from my sticky forehead. "That stuff should knock you out soon, too. I'll bring something down for you to eat once you're awake, alright?" His gruff voice was soft and loving, and I nodded distantly as my eyes began to droop, the medicine already doing its job. The aching tremors in my stomach soothed down to merely whispers.

"Powder, stay with her here, yeah? Her dreams might get a little weird."

A small chirp of confirmation, and then Vander's steadying presence was gone, replaced with Power's wiry body scooting close to lay down and snuggle into my side. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders to hold her close and mumbled something that could have been "hi" or "I love you" or maybe even "Mylo's a prick", but the gentle darkness of a restorative sleep washed me away before I could hear any response.