1

2 weeks.

Within two weeks I had to think of something big. Although I already had the whole year, I still could not think of a gift.

Every time I asked John he answered with: "You are already my wife. What else could I possibly want?"

That all sounded nice, but the answer didn't help me either.

I had already gotten small things, like his annual tie or socks, which he always seemed to lose. However, I still needed something that would knock him out of his new socks.

Sighing, I flopped down on our bed. John wouldn't be in for just under an hour, which gave me plenty of time to think.

Closing my eyes, I drifted off into distant memories.

It was our third date. It was crazy, especially since I could never imagine getting this close to someone like John.

For tonight's date, we had agreed to go to an art gallery to which we both had free admission. Being under 25 sometimes had its advantages. I wore a pair of blue jeans, a white shirt, black over-knee boots and a leather jacket. I didn't want to come across too dressed up, but it was important to me to show John that I really took our date seriously.

Although I had planned to arrive ten minutes before, John already met me. It was obvious that he already had to wait longer. When we met in the middle, I was about to launch into an apology, but his appearance made me smile.

It seemed like there was someone even more nervous than me. He was completely dressed in a suit. His black tie caught my eye directly, so I took it between my thumb and forefinger and rubbed it.

"The tie is perhaps a bit much. A colored one would have given the whole outfit something new," I teased John.

He smiled at me. Damn. Now I regretted showing him a lousy attempt at my flirting instead of telling him how good he looked.

"We could go to the mall across the street and pick out a new one there."

With his thumb, he pointed across the street.

"I'd love to."

He put his right hand on the lower part of my back and led me to a store that was a few meters away from the entrance of the center.

The entire wall was covered with ties of various kinds. I let my fingertips brush over the various materials. Silk, cotton, corduroy. Everything the heart desires was represented here.

My eye fell on a red one. On this one was a reindeer. The red nose was formed by an extra, attached ball. With every movement the little bell around the neck rang.

I held the tie to John's neck and said: "She's perfect."

"Even though it's April?"

"Yes, of course. You have to know I love Christmas. So, if you want to spend a long time with me, you have to be prepared for everything to have a Christmas touch?"

"Is that a promise?" he asked with a smirk as he looked deep into my eyes a gain.

"A threat."

Laughing, we approached the cash register. Despite my objections, John paid for the tie. According to his reasoning, he would have to wear it.

In front of the art gallery, I loosened his black tie, pulled the red one over his head and tied it for him.

"The tie suits you very well."

I had finally given him a compliment.

A large hand stroking through my hair woke me from my brief dream. From his lap, I let my gaze slowly wander upward. Once again, he was wearing the tie.

Although he kept complaining that, yes, you could only wear it in December, he wore it quite a bit.

My eyes lingered on his. The blue of his met my brown ones.

"Did you sleep well?"

"You won't believe how well."

,,Haha. Have you been in the shower yet?"

"No, I was waiting for you," I yawned.

,,Good. I bought ingredients for pasta. We can deal with that and some other things after the shower."

He winked. I laughed. No matter how unfunny, I couldn't help but laugh at all his jokes. Being around him, I got the urge to laugh, to cry and to get angry.

With him near me, I could show every emotion imaginable.

He was my soul mate, which makes it all the more important to find the right gift for him.