Chapter 4: First Comes Denial

2 more months passed and the fixing of the machine had been going well, almost halfway there, Stretch had moved the machine into his old workshop to protect it from the cold wet snow. You had spent 5 months total in this universe and you were getting quite used to this place but you were getting antsy about getting back home. The few friends you had and your family must be worried sick about you. Did the time flow the same as it did in your universe or was the timeflow different since your universe was technically further ahead in time? You could ask Stretch about it but it scared you to find out and you know what they say... ignorance is bliss.

You had returned back to the inn of course and the innkeeper sighed in relief when you came back to work for them, you had explained that your sickness had gotten worse than you had expected and that's why you had been gone for several days. You didn't feel the need to disclose that you stayed with the skeleton brothers during that time since it wasn't relevant.

You had become a regular at Muffet's but unlike Stretch, you actually paid for your orders. Muffet had become somewhat of a friend of yours, her spiders always waving to you to greet you. Muffet"s had basically become your usual hangout spot and of course you bumped into Stretch a lot with a honey bottle in hand, oddly he wasn't here today. You ordered your usual, a spider donut and some non alcoholic spider cider.

"So darling, how's that blue skeleton doing? I heard you and him have gotten to know all of the town's residents" Muffet inquired, You had asked Lucky to introduce you to the residents in hopes of finding him some decent friends for him and luckily there was this one monster that thought Lucky's blue cape was super cool. He had white fluffy fur and some horns were beginning to protrude from the top of his head, he introduced himself to be Asriel. Lucky had quickly befriended Asriel so even if you weren't around, Lucky would have someone to rely on... plus you got to meet the residents here and finally introduced yourself after 5 months of being in Sunnedout. "He's doing alright, made a new friend and everything" You happily told Muffet in-between bites of your spider donut. "You've been such a good influence on the skeleton brothers... honestly I'm surprised Papyrus hasn't picked you up for himself darling" Muffet gave you multiple winks with her multitude of eyes and you rolled your eyes at her, she rolled away with a laugh. After that interaction, you saw a bunny monster scowling at you, she was a regular here. You were about to ask her what was wrong but she hopped out of the bar before you could... How odd, did you do something wrong? You don't think so since nobody else was reacting like that to you.

You finished your spider donut and started to sip on your delicious spider cider, the liquid looked like a purple galaxy with speckled stars in it, very fancy looking and it tasted delicious! You had finished everything you needed to do in here so you said goodbye to Muffet and waved to her little spider workers. You jumped off the bar stool and as you were about to leave the restaurant bar, abruptly Stretch came in and he had a pretty looking monster attached to his arm. They had the traits of a horse but they had a small protruding horn on their head and a beautiful fluffy mane. You gave them both a quick wave, you saw that the handsome monster had a very long tail with tufts at the end, they looked to be more of a Kirin than a horse. Stretch asked you if you wanted to join them but it looked to be a date so you declined and exited the restaurant, you had a goat dad to visit after all!

Stretch watched you leave with an excited smile on your face, where were you going with such an expression? He felt his soul pulsate for some odd reason. He couldn't dwell on it any longer as his supposed date nudged him to move, not liking his lingering gaze. "I'm your date, remember?" They subtly hinted and he quickly apologized, leading them to the barstools he once led you to. "Sorry about that, it was a friend of mine" He apologized yet again and his date gently shook their head, their mane flowing elegantly with the movement. "It's okay, they looked quite adorable and I think they were checking me up" For some reason Stretch didn't like that, was he jealous of you trying to steal his date? Couldn't be... You didn't seem like you were trying to... quite the opposite, you would have accepted his offer if your goal was to ruin his date. "I'm your date, remember?" He threw the exact words back at them and they got flustered while trying to backtrack. He let it go and they began to small talk, he found it a bit boring and dry but he didn't comment on it. That would ruin the mood for sure. "Oh don't you have a younger brother? The one who acts a bit odd?" They suddenly asked and it was true but calling his brother odd was a bit rude of them plus his brother wasn't younger but older.