Dude, That's My Car

I was a zombie trudging through the hallway Monday morning. Oliver had been a persistent little pest the last two days and I'd had little to no sleep. Unlike my other ghostly acquaintances, he was able to sit and conversate, pace the room and run through the little things he could remember, and the worst, most irritating thing of all, he wouldn't shut up about talking to Axel. In his tiny little ghost brain, he most believe that his brother is the answer to everything. That the second I approach Axel with the outlandish conversation starter of "I can see your dead brother" that he'd join our little detective club we'd find the killer.

I would have thought someone as smart as our school Valedictorian would realize that his brother was going to, without any doubt, laugh in our faces, even if it was only mine visible to him. I'd made the mistake of telling one person aside from Kingston my ability and they had tried to have me institutionalized.

"Aye, you didn't come to the afterparty." King leaned into the locker beside mine with a crooked grin. "That shit was lit."

"I was exhausted and depressed." I shrugged a shoulder. "Last thing I should be doing is getting drunk."

He laughed. "No, really, Fai. Even St. James showed up. It was awesome. Lot of clean up Sunday morning, but totally worth it."

My head whipped up at the mention of Oliver. As if his name had summoned him, he appeared beside me, so close that if he were physically able, his shoulder would be brushing against mine.

"Oliver was at your party?" I tried to keep my voice neutral. Sure, King knew of my abilities, and believed me to an extent as he'd witnessed some weird stuff, but to tell him that Oliver St. James' ghost was right beside me would freak him the hell out.

"Yep." He rocked back and forth on his feet. "For someone that claims to not like the rich dick you sure are interested in him."

I could feel Oliver's eyes on me, and for a second I almost told him to stop staring. Straightening myself, I tried to sound as uninterested as possible.

"Do you know if he like left early or whatever?"

"Dunno." King shrugged a shoulder, dark eyes falling to it as he brushed a piece of lint of his white shirt. "It was kinda weird though, because he was asking about you."

Out of habit, I looked to Oliver with a quirked brow. He only looked at me just as curiously. He obviously couldn't remember.

"Really? What'd he ask?"

"He didn't even know your name. He just asked where my hot, quiet friend was." I felt warmth spread through my cheeks at that. "When I told him you dipped, he kind of got weird. Asked what your deal was and why you didn't date and kept your distance."

"What'd you say?"

Kingston smiled as if his answer was a winning lottery ticket. "I told him it was because you were too good for all the little boys in this school and the only reason why you're strange is because you're in a whole different league than him and his buddies."

Oliver himself looked embarrassed but he didn't speak. I looked between the two boys for a minute, but there was a look in King's eyes as he spoke that was a clear indication that he wasn't telling the full story.

"And?"

"And nothing. Then he walked away. I didn't see him after that." King responded. "His little girlfriend came up to me this morning and asked about him though. Weird, right? I guess nobody has seen him since the party.