𝐰𝐭𝐟 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐚𝐦 𝐢 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐝? - 𝐚 𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐛𝐲 𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐞𝐫𝐚

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

''  ʷᵗᶠ ᶦˢ ʷʳᵒⁿᵍ ʷᶦᵗʰ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʷᵒʳˡᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ʷʰʸ ᵃᵐ ᶦ ᶜᵘʳˢᵉᵈˀ ⁻ ᵃ ⁿᵒᵛᵉˡ ᵇʸ ʲᵘⁿᵍ ᵃᵉʳᵃ ''

No one could resist the charms of the so-called "A3", and rightfully so. This tight friendship group consisted of three glittering pieces of eye candy who liked to parade around Seuli High School as if they owned the place while god blessed them from above with individual spotlights on a daily basis. Technically, they did own the school—after all, the student body was entirely made up of their followers, and the principal was most definitely willing to give up everything he owned just for an inkling of attention from their dear parents. It wasn't surprising considering that they were rich enough to bathe in pure gold. 

And, of course, Jung Aera was no exception. She had dedicated practically her entire life to following the trio around like a lost puppy, shouting praises at them for every little cool thing they did and clinging to their arms at every opportunity in hopes that someday, they might notice her affections. And—if she was lucky—perhaps they might even reciprocate them.

Aera was particularly interested in Baek Kyung—tall, dark, and devilishly handsome bad boy Baek Kyung who was always either brooding or brawling. The dark scowl that seemed to be permanently etched onto his face somehow made Aera feel all hot and jittery inside, and the scars or bruises that occasionally decorated his cheekbones and jaw only added to his charm. Plus, his blatant refusal to give his arranged fiancée (a half-pint with a disastrously short life expectancy by the name of Eun Danoh) the time of day while allowing Aera to drape herself around his arm in the very same moment led her to believe that she stood a chance at winning his heart. Not to mention the fact that the rare moments in which he allowed his fans to get a glimpse of his toned body fuelled a disgusting amount of not-so-innocent daydreams that would have cost Aera the respect of her classmates had they been able to read her mind.

In summary, pining after Baek Kyung was pretty much her only personality trait aside from the irremediable bad habit of splurging daddy dearest's money. And everyone knew this. Even Aera had come to terms with this fact over the past 17 years of her existence. At this point, it was all that defined her—her obsession with the Baek boy and his friends ran so deep that it almost seemed as though she existed purely to worship the ground they stalked upon and the air they breathed.

But if that was the case, then why did she feel strangely disinterested in the sparkling image of A3 sauntering down the main school corridor lately? Why did the compliments that she sent their way while clinging to their sides feel half-hearted? Why did she occasionally zone out to ponder mundane things like dinner or the inevitable fate of her dysfunctional family instead of hanging onto every single phrase that left Baek Kyung's oh-so-kissable lips? And why—in the name of all things holy—did she feel overwhelmed by the feeling of loneliness when there were plenty of students that would literally pay her for a chance to kiss the ground she walked on?