Chapter 3: ~*Duels and Do-Overs*~

~*//////////////////////*~

Vera swung her Sabre, the tip just missing Xavier's chest as his clashed with hers before he swung again making her jump back. The two continued to duel, Vera getting another point before he did too. Movement caught her eye causing her to stop and look, Xavier mimicking her movements as Wednesday strolled past in her all black fencing gear. She looked at Xavier who shrugged at her and removed his mask, watching the interaction between Wednesday and Bianca unfold before them as they started to duel.

She was surprised at how well Wednesday was at fencing, even more so when she got the first point. After Bianca got her first point the two stopped and started to talk, giving Vera her chance to walk away from Xavier's side, making her way across to where Yoko and Enid stood.

"She's pretty good." Vera noted aloud, starting a conversation with the two.

"Good? She's amazing." Enid gawked. Vera's attention was brought back to the duel by what Wednesday said next.

"For the final point I would like to invoke a military challenge. No masks, no tips, winner draws first blood."

This caught everyone off guard, the room falling silent for a moment as people exchanged looks. Less surprised when Bianca accepted, everyone stood tensely watching them fight. A small gasp sounded as the room fell silent again. Bianca had won. Vera looked to Enid and then back at Wednesday, making eye contact with the girl after she wiped the blood off her forehead.

"Your face finally got that splash of color it so desperately needed." Bianca laughed. Wednesday walked off, assumedly to the nurses to get a bandage.

The coach cleared his throat, "Resume your practices." He spoke monotonously. And so the class continued on like normal.

~*//////////////////////*~

Vera walked alone outside, having a free period while Yoko and Enid had classes. She stood under the arch of an entryway struggling to light a damp cigarette that sat between her lips.

"Fucking rain.." She muttered, searching her pockets and pulling out her last cigarette from her coats secret pocket.

Holding it between her lips she pulled out her lighter, finally lighting it. As she went to take a drag of it a door creaked open, startling her and making the cigarette slip from between her lips and into a small puddle below.

"Shit." She stepped on the semi-lit cigarette putting it out fully before stepping out of her hiding spot to get a good look at whoever had walked out of the building.

"Of course it's you." Vera grumbled looking Wednesday up and down. "You know, I'm starting to think-" A loud creaking cut her off, both girls looking up as a gargoyle came down where Wednesday stood.

"Wednesday!" A voice yelled before Xavier came out of nowhere, tackling her out of the way. Vera stood there speechless before looking up and catching a glimpse of movement on the roof above.

"Wha-" "Don't just stand there, help me!" Xavier cut her off before she could even begin. She dropped her bag, not caring about her things getting wet as she rushed over to help him.

~*//////////////////////*~

Vera sat in a chair with Xavier next to her standing. They had been silent since they had brought Wednesday into the infirmary. She glanced at the clock, then Wednesday, then Xavier who was already looking her way. The two locked eyes before he gave her a once over, rolling his eyes and looking away.