Chapter 8: Keefe

first off, i didn't get to say this before, but how's the new cover? i tried drawing it, but im not a great artist, so . . .
also, is the green text visible? i tried to find a good color. anyways, i hope yall like this next chapter!

–Anonymouscuzwhynot

After waking up the next morning, Keefe raced down to his Leapmaster. He decided to get to Havenfield to surprise Sophie, which was supposed to be tricky, but thanks to the Ultimate End Ro had, she was still in the bathroom.

"Havenfield!" Keefe called. Immediately, a crystal lowered to the ground, stopping at the right spot so a strong beam of light shone across the room. He took a deep breath and stepped into the light.

Seconds later, he arrived at Havenfield. Keefe wished he was a Vanisher. Then he'd be able to sneak in without Grady noticing. Keefe sighed, then cautiously stepped inside. Suddenly, Sophie came skipping down the stairs, with Edaline popping out of the kitchen. He immediately ducked behind the sofa.

He heard a chair being scraped across the floor, then Edaline saying, "My, you're hungry." There was a slight pause and a snap,  then she said, "They're called cadmerials." Keefe took that to mean she conjured something. "They're good. Try it out. The gnomes delivered them this morning, just for you. Said they help with mental things, like your telepathy training." Suddenly, he could feel surprise and joy wafting from the table. When he peeked out of his hiding spot, he saw Sophie literally inhale the cadmerials. He ducked back behind the sofa as Edaline turned to the kitchen. He then heard the scrape of a chair again, and snuggled further back into his hiding spot as Sophie walked out the door.

After checking to make sure the coast was clear, Keefe snuck out of his hiding spot and raced upstairs to Sophie's room. He hid under her bed and waited for her to come. And waited. And waited some more.

Finally, after what felt like a bajillion years, he heard the sound of footsteps walking into the room. One peek out told him it was Sophie. When she went to her bookshelf, Keefe crept out of under the bed and stood right behind her.

Sophie suddenly turned around and half-scared Keefe to death. He could feel her own surprise flowing through the air. Keefe put his hands around Sophie and said, "Hey Foster! Glad to see me?"

"Now isn't the time, Keefe!" Sophie whispered.

"Come on, it's just a little time!" Keefe whined, pulling her closer.

"No, Keefe, seriously—" He stopped her with a short kiss. "Foster, come on. Pweeeeaaasee?" He could feel her wanting to give in, but she held strong.

"Keefe, please. I don't want anything to happen to you," Sophie pleaded. Keefe couldn't say no to those big brown eyes, but he did anyways.

"Relax, Foster. Grady-o won't find us. If he does, I'll get him back. Master prankster and troublemaker, remember?" He flashed his most beautiful smile, sure that Sophie couldn't resist. But he could tell something scared her enough that she wouldn't succumb.

Keefe's smile faded. "What is it, Foster?"

"It's—" Sophie was immediately cut off by the door banging open.

"What's taking you so long, So—" Fitz Vacker stopped, looking at Keefe, then Sophie, then his arms that were wrapped around her. He looked ready to blow.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?" he demanded. Sophie and Keefe jumped apart, but they were way too late.

"I can explain—" Sophie said, but was immediately cut off by Fitz, who was screaming so loud by now that Keefe was sure the whole universe could hear him.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I CAN EXPLAIN? WHAT IS THERE TO EXPLAIN? SOPHIE WE JUST BROKE UP! ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME FEEL MISERABLE? TRYING TO RUB A LOT MORE SALT THAN NECESSARY INTO THAT OLD WOUND? AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT THE WOUND WAS CLOSING! AND YOU—" he turned to Keefe, "—HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND! JUST BECAUSE I BROKE UP WITH HER DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN TAKE WHAT'S MINE!"

Keefe finally snapped. "YOURS?" he turned on Fitz, who slowly backed away. "FOSTER IS YOURS? WHEN WAS SHE YOURS, HUH? IT WAS CLEAR SHE NEVER FIT WITH YOU! YOU NEVER CONSOLED HER! AND WHEN ALDEN'S MIND BROKE, WHO'D YOU BLAME? HER!" At these words, Fitz had taken a step back, flinching. "YOU YELLED AT HER FOR BREAKING HIM! YOU WOULDN'T EVEN TALK TO HER! WHENEVER SHE CAME CLOSE, YOU JUST GLARED AT HER, AND SHE RAN AWAY! I WAS THE ONE WHO FOUND HER AND CONSOLED HER! I WAS THE ONE WHO PROTECTED HER WHEN WE WERE ON SILVENY! I WAS THE ONE WHO WAS WITH HER, HELPING HER WHEN THE NEVERSEEN TOOK TAM! AND YOU DARE TO HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL HER YOURS?"

Keefe stalked closer to Fitz and raised his fist. A second later, blood was dripping down Fitz's face and his own knuckles. His fist moved, again and again, until something was holding him back. When he glanced over, he saw Sophie, looking at him pleadingly, then glancing over to Fitz, clearly disgusted. "Keefe, please stop. Just take him to Elwin."

"HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO GO TO ELWIN! HE CAN'T JUST GET AN EASY FIX LIKE THAT! HE HAS TO LEARN HOW TO SUFFER!" Keefe let his fist fly with that, and Sophie didn't stop him. But she did say, "Remember how you said you're the 'master prankster and troublemaker'? Well, mix Ultimate End with something even more awful. I know just how to get to him." Sophie was grinning at this point.

Keefe reluctantly withdrew his fist and grasped Sophie's hand with his clean one, the bloody one holding onto Fitz's wrist. Sophie held up her Foxfire crystal, then gasped. He followed her gaze, and his eyes landed on Edaline, Sandor, and Grady, the last two looking very angry. Right before they leaped, Grady ordered, "You're coming straight back here, young man. We're having a very long talk."

i feel like i did better with this one. do yall think so? also: 685 VIEWS AND 46 VOTES?!?!?! AAAAHHHHHHH TYSM!!!!!

FOLLOWER SHOUTOUT: KarissaT99 you make fabulous stories! i'm glad i met u on wp!

anyways, plz vote and comment on my story. oh, and don't forget to follow me if ur not already!

–Anonymouscuzwhynot