EIGHT

"Did you have fun tonight?" James and I just got back from my friends. Of course, it was awkward introducing him to them at first, a man they had never seen before. But, like me, they quickly warmed up to him.

"Yes," he smiles. We sit on my couch in the living room, watching the rest of a marvel movie we started the other day.

Since my time with James, I have been reaching out more to my family. I haven't seen them in so long. It's weird...seeing how many people love me...they love me.

"They all think you're my boyfriend."

James chuckles, "I noticed."

"Do you think I'm weird?"

He laughs, shaking his head, "No."

"You don't think it's weird that I'm in love with you?"

"No," he says, his lashes sweeping as he blinks.

"I wish we could be together."

James sighs, "I wish we could be together too."

"You do?"

"I like being here with you...being on the same plane as you," he says. "I want to slow dance with you." I focus on his lips. Are these words really coming out of him? "Across every room in the world. I want to--"

"You're selfish too...." I say, cutting him off. His brows knit at my words. "I know you came to help me, but...you're here because you want to be with me too." He stares at me for a second before giving me a small smile and then a nod."We could be together if I-"

"NO," he said in a calm voice.

"Then stay. Stay here with me," I beg, once again, my fingers clutching his shirt.

"I wish I could...but I can't," he tells me honestly. My fingers loosen around his shirt. I understand. I understand. I hate that I understand.