one and three fourths cups sugar

Kiba's skateboard deck had a pack of white wolves running through a dark forest, trails of ghostly red light streaming from their eyes under the glare of a full moon, scuffed and battered with use. Shino's was simpler, completely black and more meticulously taken care of with a single detailed scarab beetle outlined in white at the very center.

The one Sakura handed him had a skeleton wearing flip flops.

"We collect spares for when we do more complicated tricks."

"What, like kickflipping off roofs?" Leon joked. Her face didn't change, like it so rarely did, when she lifted her hand in a so-so motion.

"... Please tell me you're kidding."

"It was into a pool if that's better."

"Not really, but were you at least wearing helmets?"

"For what?"

Yeah, that checked out.

"Uh. Nevermind."

He watched her from the corner of his eye as they walked through a part of town he wasn't all that familiar with. Walking, because while he could now cruise without kicking his board out from under him, he still couldn't quite turn when he wanted to and breaking meant jumping off the board to watch it careen into a bush or pole or building.

He wasn't actually sure where they were going either. They'd been at the park trying out a frozen yogurt place when Sakura's phone lit up, plain black in its clear case, and whatever message she'd gotten made her roll her eyes and ask him if it was alright if they stopped somewhere close by.

And, well, why not? He'd never gotten another chance to bring up why she'd even need money from pool halls, and with the way she already kept her secrets, it seemed like he'd only get to know her by being with her, which only worked in his favor.

He liked her, and he liked being with her. That's why they were dating, right?

Griptape scratched his sleeve when he adjusted his hold on the skateboard as they approached a huge gray and glass building, pristine with JADE VINE CUSTOMS in thin black lettering high on one of the walls. What looked like the front door was bolted shut and the garage doors were shuttered closed, but Sakura led him all the way to the back where there were another couple of garage doors and approached the one cracked about a foot.

She lowered her board and curled her fingers around the bottom, but before she lifted, "They can be a lot," she said. "I won't mind if you want to stay out here."

He stepped up beside her and helped her hoist. "I mean, how bad can they be?"

He got a blank look for that, one that probably meant worse than you think before she slipped through the gap and held it up from the other side and motioned for him to follow through.

And when he did, all he could do was gape.

The white flooring was polished to a shine and ran underneath rows of cars stacked in metal racks and set off to the side. Leon wasn't a car guy by any means and he was pretty sure he could only spot big names like Jaguar and Ferrari only because he saw the logos on TV, but what really caught his eye was that a car to his right was teal chrome, another an ombre from pink to orange, and one down the line was light gray with a dragon on the side in a brush stroke design.

There were even a few clay models next to some of the cars, maybe as some sort of blueprint for the finished pieces.

But near the front where the garage doors were blocked and the windows were covered sat a metallic wine red car with its hood popped up and two guys around it, the shorter one with crimson hair and dressed in all black and the other with slicked back hair and the top few buttons of his shirt undone.