Prologue

Have you ever wondered about could have happened? What could have been?

Have you ever had the 'what ifs' and the 'maybes' haunt you during the twilight hours, preventing you from sleeping and taking over your dreams with the majestic, idyllic thoughts of the paths that were not take? The strangest thing is that the pronoun 'what' and the noun'if' when placed next to each other, have the ability to bring down the strongest of minds.

It is a well-known phenomenon that physical pain is no match for the mental strain that overcomes us: physical pain can heal but the psychological pain of regret, when the feeling has groundbreaking strength, is never as kind as it forces the recurring circle of questions to fill our minds until there's nothing left.

All that is left is a figment if the person we were.

We tell ourselves that we do certain things, like climb mountains or start a business so we don't hold any regrets after, but is this always true? Does annihilating every possibility of dejection actually make us happy? And is there such a terrible thing to 'Play it safe'? Or do we place too much emphasis on the concept of the abstract noun 'Happiness' and chase after this idea so much to the extent that we search for it for a lifetime, only to find it in brief moments that we didn't appreciate at the time?

We place too much power on certain options that fate provides us, hoping to find a feeling of satisfaction, a feeling of contentment. Yet, we are reminded of the different routes we could have taken, and as a result, that feeling only lasts for a few short minutes until the darkness intercedes our every thought, making us think of 'what could have been'.

We say that our minds are our biggest ally but can, without us even noticing, become our greatest enemy.

As Robert Kiyosaki once said ' Our brains are either our greatest assets or our greatest liabilities.'