- let it end -

The rain was drizzling down and the bus was stuck in traffic, I had a depressing view of Hastings street as people went about their busy mornings late to work and desperate to get out of the rain.

God how I hated Vancouvers weather in September.

But that was besides the point as I finally got to my stop another thirty minutes later, I guess I was only an hour late and a dollar short today.

Fantastic.

    I was supposed to catch the bus with Fatima, or Mia as she had been calling herself lately but her boyfriend had offered to drive her last minute and with parents as strict as hers any alone time was worth it's weight in gold.

But as I walked into my English eleven course in room three-twenty-three I couldn't help wishing I had gotten a ride, our teacher was out on paternity leave because his wife was pregnant and the only substitute available was a retiree. Mr Finch. Thirty years of teaching and yet he still didn't know how not to bore a class to death.

Thankfully I kept my head down and he ignored me, I went to the Maths hall in a hurry the second that second period ended and as I pushed open the glass double doors I saw my best friend Jade grinning at me.

"Hey! Love the outfit girl." I smiled a little, I had worn a this cute high waisted Jean skirt and a black tank top with an fluffy teddy jacket, Jades older brother owned a bar in the heart of Vancouver and there was this new nickleback cover band playing. If I'd never get to see the real thing I suppose I'd have to settle for covers.

   "Thanks, I'm so ready for tonight..." I trailed off as I glanced at the closed door to the math class at the end of the hallway "is Rowan still in there?" Rowan was my boyfriend and he had been since the seventh grade, he was also a TA for a tenth grade class and he always ate lunch with me, Jade, and Jades boyfriend Jamal.

"And where's Jamal?" I asked raising an eyebrow at her, her first response was to roll her eyes. "Do you ever read your texts? There's a meeting for the senior soccer team in Mr. Becks classroom, he's probably not making it today." I nodded as Jade continued "and yeah, he's been in there awhile."

Weird.

    Rowan usually made it to lunch on time so I went to see what they were up to in there, I remembered him mentioning vaguely that his class was on algebra now, he was horrible at it but I had taken pre calc last year and I had it in my second semester this year as well, maybe I could help them out.

I was greeted with the sight of my boyfriend standing over a desk and in between the legs of another girl.

    I  had told him that I wasn't ready, that I wanted to wait and he had been so understanding, he had sworn it was okay but nothing about what was happening before me even resembled okay.

As far as I was concerned the relationship was over and as I stormed out of the Math hall, the boy who broke my heart scampering after me apologizing profusely as he fixed his belt, I couldn't stand to be in the building or around anybody.

The dull ache in my chest drove me to the one place I felt safe from the world.

  The Hastings House.