VI. see me in hindsight

CHAPTER SIX. see me in hindsight

      Kennedy was smiling like crazy and Presley couldn't figure out why

      Kennedy was smiling like crazy and Presley couldn't figure out why. She hardly ever smiled anymore. They sat in the lounge area of the school. Kennedy was reading Gone Girl. "I haven't seen that smile in a while." Presley spoke.

"Ha, that rhymed." Kennedy laughed. She looked up and caught her friend's odd stare she was giving her. She closed her book and sat up straight in the seat. "Xavier and I decided to be friends again."

"What? Really?"

She nodded. "Yeah, we talked after fencing. I'm tired of being angry at him, Pres. It's time we fix our friendship.

"That's great, Kenny. I'm proud of you." Presley smiled. "And hey, who knows? Maybe if the time's right, you two will her back together."

Kennedy faltered. "What?"

She shrugged. "You and Xavier were good together.  Yeah, shit happened but what you two had was special. Right person, wrong time."

Kennedy rolled her eyes. "I let you read too many of my books."

"I'm serious, Kennedy. You never know."

She didn't say anything back. She went back to reading her book.

Kennedy liked spending time by herself. She loved her friends but her free time was something she cherished. Having time to read her books and sit in peace. Have coffee at the Weathervane Cafe. Tyler knew her order by heart at that point. "One hot chocolate with cinnamon on top." He announced and sat her order down in front of her. He wore a frown. "Sorry I couldn't get you your usual. Our expression machine's gone haywire."

She smiled at him. "It's fine, Tyler."

Tyler grinned. "Anything for you, Ken." He responded

She pointed at the smoking espresso machine behind him. "Do you need help with that?" She offered.

He waved her off. "Oh no, I can handle it. As long as it doesn't blow up on me, we'll be good."

She laughed and we went back to work on the machine. Tyler was the only person from Jericho who didn't treat her like a Nevermore kid. They were friends. She read her book and sipped her hot chocolate. Wednesday entered the coffee shop. "Hey, Wednesday."

She stopped in front of her table. She looked disturbed at her wide smile. "Why are you smiling like that?"

She furrowed her brows. "Like what?"

"Like you just saved someone from getting their head cut off. It's making me nauseous."

"Well, hello to you too." Kennedy muttered. She motioned to the bandage on her forehead. "I heard Xavier saved you from getting squashed."